Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why I created GLO!

Hybrid View

This is why I created GLO!

This was a thread posted at LNO referring newbies to read this before they ask questions. This is why I have pretty much boycotted internet.com, and why I have created this site.

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

As much as I appreciate newbies doing research before they ask a question, I don't feel it is a requirement. Otherwise, why would I have a support site in the first place if I was going to tell them everytime, go elsewhere to find the answer. This is pure BS!!! in my opinion and it really ticks me off because I know many newbies got ticked off too because of this "code of conduct" that a certain part of the Linux community feels needs to be upheld. This is ridiculous, if someone wants to ask a blind question then let them ask a blind question, they might get a blind answer and that is where they shall learn to be more explicit. Sometimes you need a nudge in the right direction to even look up the answer you are trying to find! Is this not why we are here. I am by no means a Linux expert, but when someone asks a question here, I don't flame them, but I go and do research for them, or I give them the link to do the research for themselves. I gave them a nudge...if they dont' understand where I led them, then I can elaborate. This is how a newbie should be introduced to a completely new OS. Not go read the fucking manual(RTFM as more commonly seen). This is why the Linux community has lost so many newbies back over to the Windows side, because we are to arrogant to help a guy/girl that can't get there mouse to work in X. BTW, mouse to work in X is supposedly the most blindsided question that a newbie can ask and the most ridiculed, I think it is a valid question, needs more information, but will get a blind answer of "Well what is your hardware specs, can we get a copy of your XF86Config file." It is blind because it doesn't answer anything, but it gives a nudge for them to look at their hardware setup and look at the way they have there config file setup, if anything it just exposes them to what a XF86Config file looks like!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Re: This is why I created GLO!

I aggree with you there.
    People that know linux like the back of their hand don't like helping newbies that "waste their time". Don't they seem to realise that they were once a newbie too. This also (IMO) links to the article about skilled users making linux much harder than it looks (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23245.html)
    If linux is to suceed, i think everyone needs to help each other. GLO is (another) great start and i think it will do well because everyone _WANTS_ to help eacher other to get the most out of their linux experience.

Just my $0.02 worth (i think i got it wrong on my other posts........)

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

I like the way you think! Welcome to GLO

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

I aggree with you there.
    People that know linux like the back of their hand don't like helping newbies that "waste their time". Don't they seem to realise that they were once a newbie too. This also (IMO) links to the article about skilled users making linux much harder than it looks (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23245.html)
    If linux is to suceed, i think everyone needs to help each other. GLO is (another) great start and i think it will do well because everyone _WANTS_ to help eacher other to get the most out of their linux experience.

Just my $0.02 worth (i think i got it wrong on my other posts........)

Alastair
    I don't know Linux like the back of my hand, but I have been using it (and only it) for almost two years now (excluding the semester I set up a dual boot because the instructors "insisted" that my programs be written in VC++. Even then the only thing I used Windows for was to check the programs I wrote in g++ would compile and run without a hitch)

I have never (that I can remember) and WILL never reply with RTFM unless someone has asked a question, been given all the information they need, then come back with "just tell me, I don't want to read all that crap" (by the way this did happen once). I do remember what being a newbie was/is like. I think anyone that thinks they know linux like the back of their hand should either shut up or say something useful, NOT spout flames left and right. JMHO

gaxprels

DAMM*T RTFM ;D
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

I agree, I am not going to babysit newbies....If I have given a person all the resources they need to figure out their problem, then they come back and say just tell me how to do it because I don't want to read then I'll say RTFM. Pointing a person in the direction of a solution is not saying RTFM it is giving them the resources they need, but just telling them RTFM from the get go, is plain egotistical.

Aragorn

FoBoT

i don't agree with

"there are no stupid questions"

i think there are plenty of stupid questions, but the porpoise of sites like GLO/LNO/LJ/LO ,etc is to give nubes a place to ask the stupid questions in a friendly and warm atmosphere, free of ridicule and humiliation, ridicule and humiliation is why all these sites have off-topic/shout the breeze forums as well!! ;D

JimH

I think there are plenty of stupid questions, but the porpoise of sites like GLO/LNO/LJ/LO ,etc is to give nubes a place to ask the stupid questions in a friendly and warm atmosphere, free of ridicule and humiliation, ridicule and humiliation is why all these sites have off-topic/shout the breeze forums as well!! ;D
    I agree. Rude RTFM answers just drive newbies away.

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

I believe a well thought out answer and a recommendation to RTFM if the need for a more detailed explanation of certain things is needed. I've never got a strictly RTFM answer before, but it was usually somewhere in the reply. I know it helped me a lot.

JimH

I believe a well thought out answer and a recommendation to RTFM if the need for a more detailed explanation of certain things is needed. I've never got a strictly RTFM answer before, but it was usually somewhere in the reply. I know it helped me a lot.
    Agreed, but sometimes a newbie needs an explanation about what they R in TFM.

Jim H