Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

This is why I created GLO! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why I created GLO!

Mojo

POTATO

Well... What if a newbie doesn't understadn what RTFM means (or he didn't actually get a manual) - what if he genuinly is a newbie (like those who weren't born with complete unix knowledge; such as myself)

Just my 2ps worth (yes 2p mwahahahah i live in stinkin europe with no stinkin sun and lots of stinkin rain AHHHH)

Sythe

Re:This is why I created GLO!

Being a newbie myself i only got linux 1 week ago and have had a few problems (sound, FUCKING WINMODEM [sorry] and setting up new graphics drivers) these are all problems that have been fixed by looking and reading other fourms and sites, but by far the best and most underlooked is GOOGLE!
    i belive that is the best anwser to all problems, type in the device and "linux" and you shoud find a site on the problem.

RTFM crap HAS to stop. no ifs or buts, i have found that the manuel was lacking in the data i needed. So, how can someone fix something if it is NOT in the manuel?

I have all the respect in the world for the linux users that help us newbies (such as your site and others) but, the users that KNOW what they are doing and donot tell are arrogant and most likely forgoten that they where once newbies (with exception of linus!)

I would like to thank you for your site and hope to be as good with linux as you all are

Sythe

flandercan

i agree , im a newby now but one day i will be a god, when that happens ill be sure to help other newbys.

Well I must say, with your profile image there, I'll give ya my vote any time! ;D
    Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

flandercan

im glad you like! just a little somthing i picked up.

gomez alert

Excellent. I couldn't agree more. The wierd thing is, I get so aware of
    the different levels of expertise. Locally, people think I know a lot and
    am some kind of guru because I built my own computer and run a dual boot
    machine, etc,etc, and do a bit of this command line stuff. If I go online
    and ask questions I start feeling like an absolute beginner compared to some
    of the real gurus that are out there. So when I ask my friend what operating
    system she runs(expecting her to say win 95 or 98) and she says
    "wordperfect" what chance of support is someone like this going to receive?
    Sometimes I think Linux just needs a bit of translation and the will to be kind to newbies.

Ha haaaa! a chance to voice an opinion eh!

I think there is soooo much to learn with an o/s as a newbie, that sometimes you need to ask a quick silly question just so you aren't held back for days/weeks/years and can get on with whatever it is you are trying to conquer without searching through an endless maze of data explaining everything 'cept what you need to know.

I also agree with
    RTFM crap HAS to stop. no ifs or buts, i have found that the manuel was lacking in the data i needed. So, how can someone fix something if it is NOT in the manuel?
    If you're a newbie and you can't understand what you are doing and the manual isn't helping, then you will encounter the problem explained in my first paragraph.

Sometimes the manuals seem so bloody cryptic when you are a newbie. and i think RTFM should be relpied with GMTFA - Give me the fucking answer

Be kind to others and others will be kind to you.

nuff said

Friskydrifter
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

cindir

Well I have to say I try my darndest not to ask stupid questions because I know the answer is out there but some times it is inevitableto ask a stupid question (like for example I couldnt find out what kernel I was running so I went to IRC and asked what the command was to find out the kernel after 4 people refusing to answer such a stupid question one said he rembered being a newbie and the command was #uname -r but somthing that simple and takes 5 sec to answer was like pulling teeth) >
    And since I'm shooting out examples I need to change kernels and both were on my comp (refer to slackware board changing kernels) but I read 3 manuals but each was reffering to different things than my prolbem and it wasn't till I found this board that I got the prolbem solved(Thanks Guys)
    But thats my experiences in my 3 1/2 weeks using slackware linux. (BTW I like slack as a newb because I have learned more recently than the 2 weeks using Redhat before that, Redhat whent in no hitches slack is another story)
    Anyway this forum is great for newbs like me I hope to help solve some prolbems in the future.

;D

lol, i had a dumb question the other day, i couldn't install something, and i didn't know why. Jim H was like "root man, just just gots to be in root"
    silly question on a hard day solved, and i didn't get the third degree, thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    lol, i had a dumb question the other day, i couldn't install something, and i didn't know why. Jim H was like "root man, just just gots to be in root"
    silly question on a hard day solved, and i didn't get the third degree, thanks Jim
    Yeah you'd think for how old and cranky the guy is, he would let into a few people, but I haven't had to put him back in his cage yet! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.