Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

^$#%^$# win2k sux0rz!!!!!!!!

Thread: ^$#%^$# win2k sux0rz!!!!!!!!

Spot

^$#%^$# win2k sux0rz!!!!!!!!

&^#$%(#R(#%$^&(@@(^%#!%$#%^@$@%$(^@#$%#($%#%$^($%^ &@%(^@#&(@$#@(#%(@%#(%@$(@%^($@^$%(@(@%#(@%#(%@#%( &@%#(&@%(#^@#(&@%

OK, got an *amazing* 12 weeks uptime on my win2k pro machine,but then the hdd starts a-clickin...so I figure the old quantum drive in there is about to go...

a few minutes later, I lose network access to the shared partitions

argh...can't access the machine via VNC

<cross fingers and reboot>

<booting....>

Error: cannot find <root>/WINNT/system32/ntoskrnl.exe please replace this file and try again.

<insert scene with me opening my mouth to scream but no sound comes out>

45 minutes, 4 boot floppies and a 1.9 meg file burned to a 650 meg cd later, I have a recovery console, copy the file over to where it's supposed to go, the machine boots up just fine, hdd isn't even clicking

w
    t
    f
    ?

oh yea...this a cool $350 OS...

jmbrinks

Re: ^$#%^$# win2k sux0rz!!!!!!!!

The clicking HD issue is probably one of two things. It is either the HD or the power supply.

Quantums are notorious for your specific problem. It will continue to click and have wierd problems intermittently and then just die. Clicking HD is 99.9% a hardware problem.

Power supplies are also the source of most intermittent problems. Not enough power (like 200 watt power supply and you are running 2 hard drives, a CD writer, CD Rom, etc...) or dirty power (No UPS or Surge Protection). Always use an UPS with surge protection and buy a power supply that begins with 200 watts and add 50 watts per device.

Example:
    1 HD
    1 CD
    1 CD Burner

Power Supply:
    Start: 200
    HD: 50
    CD: 50
    Burner: 50

Buy 350 watt power supply.

Believe it or not, I have had few problems with Win2K. I use Win2K and RedHat 7.2. I think it is MS best release to date. <Let flames Begin>

Hope this helps...

Spot

The clicking HD issue is probably one of two things. It is either the HD or the power supply.

Quantums are notorious for your specific problem. It will continue to click and have wierd problems intermittently and then just die. Clicking HD is 99.9% a hardware problem.
    Unfortunately, neither seems to be the problem. The machine has a 350w PSU in it, and has the one hdd, and 2 cd-roms., an older vid card, no sound card, no external peripherals or anything else. The problem seems to be when the machien gets to the 12 week point or so in it's uptime. It's happened twice to me now.
    I do agree with you though - win2k is by far the best thing MS has ever put out.

jmbrinks

Power really shouldn't be a problem unless it is dirty.

I would still say it is the Hard Drive. I owned a few of these Quantums and had the same problems.

Try a new Hard Drive, if you can, and see if the problems persist.

Spot

Power really shouldn't be a problem unless it is dirty.

I would still say it is the Hard Drive. I owned a few of these Quantums and had the same problems.

Try a new Hard Drive, if you can, and see if the problems persist.
    heh...you got to it before I had a chance to add this to my previous post...
    When it happened before, it had a WD hdd in it, not a Quantum =/

kyiu

Bad power supply kills hd...mb, ram & cards. I've seen it happen a few times. Cheap ps can cost you a lot - not to mention your data. If you plan to use your box in a server setup (24/7), replace the ps once awhile could save you a lot of grief.

Ken

Aaron_Adams

On an old box of mine, the clicking HD was the result of the PS as well.

Spot

I plan on replacing the entire machine eventually. As it's the gateway for my other machines, and I run a bunch of services here, I can't really afford a week or so of downtime whilst I install linux on it and learn to configure the firewall and network routing. Once I pick up a spare box, I'll do a linux install and learn all that and pop it in the current gateway's place.
    Hopefully that'll be soon

mountainman

Re:^$#%^$# win2k sux0rz!!!!!!!!

I still use mandrake 6.1 as my firewall/masqing box as well as my dns. I used pmfirewall to setup most of the rules, ipmasqadm for forwarding to my webserver, and the standard how-to masq to setup that. To get it up and masqing my other puter takes about 2 hours including the install, about 30 minutes if its already installed.