Thread: 3 Days

Hybrid View

CP

3 Days

Just thought I'd say. It's been 3 days since a post has been put here.

jman_77

Re: 3 Days

Yeah, it's been quiet... only 13 members or so so far, but at least now we know a few of you are checking back

WireChief

This is my first visit, I am setting up Suse Linux 7.1 for the first time on a 10gig fireball drive. I guess I still want to be able to keep my finger in the windows invironment so will leave room for it but am hoping after installing Linux that this LILO will work and allow me to boot to either systems.
    Well here we go!,, will report back how the water is

These last couple of days have been slow, especially because of the 4th of July. We will be back in groove here real soon I hope. We should be acquiring new members as soon as our site hits the engines(I hope anyways). We could use all the help we can get on recruiting people to the site though. We are fully open to ways to attract new users and keep you guys!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Welcome WireChief! Good choice with Suse. If you have any troubles just let us know and we can work them through it with ya. Just remember that when you are setting up LILO for SUSE, DO NOT INSTALL TO MBR! Install to the first sector!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

WireChief

Thanks Aragorn for your help and suggestions to make a Linux 7.1 work. For those reading this reply I purchased Suse Linux 7.1 Personal and decided to install it on a Fireball 10 gig hard drive. First I Fdisked and setup a C primary and D logical drive, I then used a drive image of my original 13 gigs C partition and got it restored to the C drive. I decided to try following the instructions on the CD package that Linux 7.1 came with (mistake1 ugh). I used Partition magic (mistake 2) to make a boot partition, a Linux 1.2 gig partition, and swap partition (for some reason Partition magic made a very small swap partition ) I installed powerquests boot magic (mistake 3) then tried the install of Linux following the instructions on their CD pack.. this process is very confusing it takes you through the installl process and eventually through installing the kernal but I got lost by step 6,,, I could not get linux to load, even though it showed that it installed software. thats when Aragorn advised me that this wouldnt work and led me through a re-installation process that would work. Stubornly I decided to follow the install instruction using linux 7.1' quick install and that worked, I have to use a boot disk to start linux but it works, the setup for the monitor is scary though and I recommend that you find the manual for your monitor before you get started so you know how to setup the detail that it asks for. Oh, I found out that by doing this linux sets up its own partitions so you dont need to do that as I mentioned that was a very time consuming mistake, just let it setup the hard drive. All of this is my first attempt at Linux and it was a very intensive learning process, thanks Aragorn for you help and Im glad I found your discussion forum and will incourage my friends to stop by and check it out.