Thread: LOL, I just had to post this article

JimH

LOL, I just had to post this article

This article on CNET NEWS is a real kick in the ass for all the AMD users out there. This guy needs to find a new job, because he doesn't know anything about what he is trying to explain.

Quote:

"In recent months, price has clearly emerged as the key differentiator in the increasingly commoditized microprocessor industry. Performance is no longer a significant issue for most corporate and consumer computer users. In any case, products from Intel and AMD offer approximately equivalent performance--and any differences that do exist are essentially irrelevant."

and it even gets better:

" Nonetheless, AMD clearly must rethink its corporate strategy in the face of a radically changed marketplace. The company can't compete on the basis of performance or price"

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201...-0.html?tag=lh

Jim H

Re: LOL, I just had to post this article

This guy obviously has not read any benchmarks in quite some time about the performance of the two chips. I today would still pay for and AMD WAYYYY before I paid for an Intel. What a dork! : : :

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

No, he's right. The majority of users don't care. I mean, if they did, there would be no "e-machines" and I wouldn't be using a celeron 400 at work.

Then there's tweaker nerds like us, who are sadly in the minority... some day, some day I'll make my dual t-bird machine..... some day.....

JimH

I agree with him that all the consumer cares about is the price. What I disagree with is his comments about "Intel and AMD offer approximately equivalent performance--and any differences that do exist are essentially irrelevant" and his stating the AMD can't compete in terms of performance and price.

Jim H

johnqpublic

Where in Hell has that guy been!It is commen knowledge that AMD chips out perform Intel chips.Oh,and at a lower price I might add.This knucklehead does not know what benchmarks are?AMD has shown that it is more than a match for Intel and will survive this economic slowdown just fine.

JimH

He either lives in a cave or has his head stuck up his ******. :

Where in Hell has that guy been!It is commen knowledge that AMD chips out perform Intel chips.Oh,and at a lower price I might add.This knucklehead does not know what benchmarks are?AMD has shown that it is more than a match for Intel and will survive this economic slowdown just fine.

jman_77

true, true... still... all depends on the application though... I'd run a thunderbird in my gaming machine at home... but I wouldn't reccommend one for a graphic artist or for web server applications.
    The chips are really just optimized for different user applications. The G4 is still awesome for heavy graphic applications, and web servers are happy on dual Xeon chips.

JimH

I agree with you there, most of the graphic design programs are more optimized too take advantage of Intel's SSE instructions, or like you said go with a Mac ;D We will have to see how well AMD MP processors mature, but so far it looks like they are going to have a winner. I would really like too see some of the motherboard manufacturers target the high-end users with AMD MP compatible motherboards. ;D AMD's problem is still chipset support. Via is alot better then they used too be, but they still don't match Intel in terms of stablity. I would like to use AMD processors more when I build systems for other people, but I lean more towards Intel, especially for non-technical users.

Jim H

true, true... still... all depends on the application though... I'd run a thunderbird in my gaming machine at home... but I wouldn't reccommend one for a graphic artist or for web server applications.
    The chips are really just optimized for different user applications. The G4 is still awesome for heavy graphic applications, and web servers are happy on dual Xeon chips.