Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewlitt Packard and Compaq to merge.

johnqpublic

Hewlitt Packard and Compaq to merge.

I was thumbing through some news articles and came across this.Seems HP is acquiring Compaq for $25 Billion.Combined earnings for the 2 companies are $87 billion($47 HP,$40 Compaq).This puts them right behind IBM($90 billion) and Dell in the No.3 spot at $32 billion.This move should make HP competitive along IBM's whole product line from what I read.Wonder if this is good news for consumers?Got this info from Wall Street Journal.

heathp

Re: Hewlitt Packard and Compaq to merge.

JohnQ,

I live in Houston and work for an Import company. Compaq has been a marketing company for at least the last 2 years. I'd say 90% of their product is outsourced to Chinese/Tiawanese manufacturing companies who have opened HUGE manufacturing facilities in various locations throughout the world to supply most PC manufacturers (not just Compaq). I hope HP knows what they are getting for their megabucks.

HP's stocks are taking quite a hit for this decision. It will be interesting to see how they do in the next few months.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Yep, and the CEO of HP(forgot her name)has been getting some flack over this also.With HP stocks sliding some stockholders may get on her back now.Have not looked to see what HP stock closed at + -.

JimH

This merger really won't effect the average consumer. They will just go from having two meduim sized junk computer makers, too one big junk computer maker. Will make it easier to decide which junk computer they want to buy because they will have fewer choices. Hmmm, did you ever get the feeling I don't like the quality of the junk computers most average consumers have too choose from. ;D

Both were junk, but HP was like a dream system compared to Compaq...I have never had so many problems with a commercial system as I have compaq!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

My first puter was a HP Pavilion,well it's my wife's but I do all the maint.It is ok but a pain to upgrade(proprietary)Never played with a Compaq.My 2 boxes are my own creation.I'll never buy a ready-made box again.

JimH

You are very fortunate too have never experienced having to work on a Compaq. :

I have lost many years off the end of my life screwing with a compaq. The frustration alone probably drove half of the users to being habitual smokers!

Aragorn

johnqpublic

You would think Phillip Morris would have bought up Compaq!