Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Lights are on and nobody's home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights are on and nobody's home

johnqpublic

Lights are on and nobody's home

It's not even that late and I own the board!So quiet it almost echos in here.hello hello hello hello hello hello hello.Cool reverb man.

Re: Lights are on and nobody's home

I think a lot of people have been glued to their TV's here of late. I am at work now, and when at home I am either glued to the set or exercising. I am trying to get in shape as quick as possible. I am signing up for the Air Force come tue or wed and dont' know when they'll send me to Basic Training. So for about 6 weeks or so, nobody will see me around while I am in Texas....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Good for you Aragorn!Yes,it has been an eventful week.Things will not be the same again.Who will be running GLO?

Well JMan has full access to the site, so I am sure he won't mind running it while I am in camp. And if I am sent over to the Middle East as I am hoping, he'll run it as long as I am over there, but once I am back I'll be back in my seat.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Sekihmet

Good luck Aragorn. Hopefully all goes well.

Why do you want to be sent to the Middle East? I'd personally feel better helping out close to home. Just curious.

I hope to help get rid of these buggers! I won't be an infantryman or anything, but I hope to be in intelligence until I get my degree then fly. That is what I've always wanted to do anyways, but just need the degree and hopefully the eyes won't stop me either.

Aragorn

jman_77

Well sheeeeeeeet. Political views aside, I'll tend to the site in Aragorn's absence.

That's right boys, I'm the big man on campus now. ;D

Seriously though, I'll look after the place and try to keep updating, etc. Aragorn, get in touch with me so we can work out details if you're really serious about this.

bdl

Aragorn - to be completely honest with you, I doubt seriously that you'd get anywhere near the middle east, especially if you join the Air-Force, and especially if you're just joining now. More than likely your mission will be guarding an air base here in the states or in another allied country, perhaps doing some job that suits you, like mechanic, electronics or maintenance of some sort. I don't mean to put anyone in the Air Force down at all in saying that, but if you're not a pilot you won't be seeing any action. Thats not to say that joining a different branch of the military is going to put you into the thick of things, but IMHO thats how it works. Here's a couple of thoughts on what your mission objective might be now if you join any branch of the service:

Air Force - doing basic domestic duties, guarding an airbase, loading / offloading supply airships, train to be a mechanic, etc. Of course there's always computer / electronics work. "Basic" should be light to moderate. The AF does have a limited special forces group from what I understand, I don't know anything about them, however.

Navy - similar mission to Air Force, except aboard ship or carrier somewhere, possibly in computers, electronics, mechanics of some sort. I personally think the Navy is the best choice if you want diversity. "Basic" should be light to moderate. There are specialty combat roles, of course like SEALS. Incredibly intensive training, and a high fallout ratio.

Army - more of a combat role, you will probably be part of an infantry division, perhaps you'll get to specialize in a certain field that you feel good doing: light weapons training, armored division, etc. Like any other branch, I'm sure there are mechanics, electronics, computer jobs available. "Basic" should be moderate to intensive. Also, special forces options, Rangers being one of them.

Marine Corps - a definite combat role, probably trained in combat situations, small arms and the like. I don't know that there are options for alot of non-combat roles in the Corps, they're basically considered a 'policing' division of the military, going in and securing areas, etc. "Basic" should be fully intensive. Again, special forces roles are there.

Of course, like anything, these are my own opinions, although gleaned from a variety of sources and from dealing with military personnel and family / friends in the military. Unfortunately, I opted to go to college rather than serve, something which I've always regretted; I could have always gone to college afterwards but I chose the easy road. I'm glad though, to see you're considering it, and urge people to do it; you shouldn't be disappointed. Luck!

BDL,

I agree that I probably will not be over there, and I am not expecting an infantry position, nor do I want one. I would goto college first just so that I could join afterwards and become a pilot, but can't afford it. So I am looking at intelligence, took the asvab in high school and I am sure they would let me into it, they begged me to do it a few years ago. I am not interested in any armed service other than Air Force, and if I am guarding a base then that is fine, I just feel that I owe it to this country to do this.

Aragorn

bdl

BDL,

I agree that I probably will not be over there, and I am not expecting an infantry position, nor do I want one. I would goto college first just so that I could join afterwards and become a pilot, but can't afford it. So I am looking at intelligence, took the asvab in high school and I am sure they would let me into it, they begged me to do it a few years ago. I am not interested in any armed service other than Air Force, and if I am guarding a base then that is fine, I just feel that I owe it to this country to do this.

Aragorn
    I gotcha. I definitely didnt mean to dissuade you from joining, I think it'll not only
    give you a tremendous amount of satisfaction but it should be a great boost to
    your future as well, especially if you do plan on going to college, to become a pilot
    or otherwise. I wish you the best.