Thread: RIAA Wants to Hack Your PC

JimH

RIAA Wants to Hack Your PC

The RIAA must think they are allowed to do anything.

Quote:
    Look out, music pirates: The recording industry wants the right to hack into your computer and delete your stolen MP3s.

It's no joke. Lobbyists for the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) tried to glue this hacking-authorization amendment onto a mammoth anti-terrorism bill that Congress approved last week.

An RIAA-drafted amendment according to a draft obtained by Wired News would immunize all copyright holders -- including the movie and e-book industry -- for any data losses caused by their hacking efforts or other computer intrusions "that are reasonably intended to impede or prevent" electronic piracy.

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47552,00.html

Jim H

Re: RIAA Wants to Hack Your PC

Besides the fact that they are trying to slide it into a bill that is supposed to protect the country, which is just downright filthy of them to do. How dare they think that they can invade a persons home computer, that is like weekly inspections of your home just to make sure you haven't stole something. If our govt ever lets that fly, augh Canada lookin pretty good!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

Ugh... good god... I'd like to add an arguement to the pile of why they shouldn't be able to do this... Putting the letters 'mp3' on the end of a file doesn't make it illegal, pirated music. Two examples:
    1. Some people (myself included) buy CDs and rip them into mp3 format. Why? Well, it's more convenient and more portable. Some of us have portable mp3 players.
    2. Some people (again, myself included) are musicians that can't afford an entire music studio, and see their computer as a reasonable alternative. They'll record completely original music, copyrighted by them, and the end product is often stored in mp3 format.

So, the question is, if the RIAA hacks into your computer and deletes your mp3s, how can they tell the difference between pirated music and legitimate ones?

Well, they probably can't, so when they delete your music that you have every right to, or when they fuck up and delete paperwork you needed for a business or a database you've spent a month compiling, what are you gonna do?

Nothing, it's protected by law. If they pass this bill, you won't be able to do anything about it at all.

Well as far as I know the bill already passed, but without this amendment to it. If the amendment passes, I say we think more seriously about that linux geek commune up in Canada!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

ahaha I'm so there

x0xCRIZx0x

Frankly, I'm really disturbed at the method which the RIAA has decided to use. Is this really the case now: Want a bill passed? Wrap it in the flag. That is just downright sad to me.

I don't support piracy, I believe artists should be compensated for their work. But to think that hacking into MY computer will be legal? Shiet, just come in and search for copied cds and dvds then...it's the same thing! Whether it is your home literally and your home in your computer, it's still an invasion of privacy. SHAME ON THEM! When it is deemed that copies of mp3 files are illegal, where will it stop? It literally opens up the case for the government to CONTROL the content which you possess. And this is clearly an infringement on certain rights.

Rather than try to embrace the technology and work out a distribution method conducive to what the future holds for the music industry, they have decided to take a quick route. One, frankly, that makes me WANT to pirate their freaking music!

Frankly, can you blame us? We were groomed to believe that music, rather than a material thing to buy and posses, is something to be shared and cherished. How many here have made tapes for their friends of their favorite albums? How many more make mixes and distributes them? How many went on Napster when it first arose? And now the RIAA wants to stop it?! You should have cut it in the bud! But no, the last refuge is in our political system.

So in conclusion, ladies and gentlemen: RIAA, YOU CAN SUCK MY @#$*! Thank you.

I think this is absolutely incredible! It is just like the new CD pressing design, it isn't able to be copied. You can thank microsoft for providing the idea for how to do it to. It seems that you have a regular digital track and then a data track and the information is split between the two in an encryptive manner that can still be read by cd players. Although they do predict that some cd players will stop being able to play the new cd's now. Also this is on games. I thought it was our legal right that we can make a copy for ourselves in case of a orginal failure, but this doesn't even allow that! AHHHH! I hate MS and RIAA!!!!

Aragorn