Thread: RIAA: We'll smother song swappers

JimH

RIAA: We'll smother song swappers

This article goes over the same things as the one from Wired News, but adds a new twist.

Quote:
    The record, movie and software industries have long pursued a controversial campaign that identifies people trading large numbers of songs though services such as MusicCity, OpenNap or Gnutella. Once the people are identified, the groups attempt to persuade Internet service providers (ISPs) to shut down those individuals' Internet connections.

But copyright holders, including record labels, are now experimenting with new ways to cut down on copyright infringement. As described by sources at the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), one method uses software to masquerade as a file-swapper online. Once the software has found a computer offering a certain song, it attempts to block other potential traders from downloading the song.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...np1t<br /> p01

I'm against priacy, but the RIAA is starting to get way out of hand.

Jim H

Re: RIAA: We'll smother song swappers

I am not against total piracy of music, because I don't feel that music should cost what it does. Although this is just completely ridiculous, when your dealing with the police that is called entrapment which doesn't stand up in court! RIAA needs to be snapped into place, after they got Napster shut down, which was complete BS because it wasn't Napster that was trading music they just provided the means, that is like shutting down Microsoft because all the security holes provide a means for hacking! I mean c'mon people! Anyways after they got Napster shut down they feel as if they have the power of the government on their side, and frankly I'm worried they might.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.