Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mouse Issues

Thread: Mouse Issues

Hybrid View

Mouse Issues

Im using two debians i have 6 oses on my system so, anyhow my mouse isnt working in two distributions the issue is practically the same im unsure as what would cause them and i had them both before and what i did to fix it wont work this time so im stumped

PS/2 Mouse
    Mother Board MSI Neo K8N NEo Platinum
    First one Debian 64
    using sarge with debian 64, X wont start just will not start, (EE)general pointer cannot be found. Anyhow i just installed it and this seems to be an issue. Ive tried different mice to no avail. When i run modprobe mousedev, or anything mouse related, gnome will start but no mouse movement, or the mouse is locked. I had this two times before and what i did to fix this was simply boot up a different kernel 2.6.10-9-amd64-generic and it worked, i had to wipe the hard drive, so i started over. Anticipating the issue i installed all the kernels available and none work. MY mouse is a cheap yahoo optical one from a local department store, it is running off an 6' belkin extender

Debian 32 Sid/Sarge
    Problem started after i first installed gentoo, and i booted it, and it said devfs not compiled into kernel, anyhow after booting up gentoo for the first point, it boots fine no errors of no mouse, it comes up to gdm, mouse cursor is there, but wont move, again same mouse. To solve the problem before i just switched the x version to sarge, which i did and nothing im sick of using windows to graphically browse the web, i cant stand browsing forums with links2 so any help is appreciated, (there was no need to run modprobe because it saw the mouse just wont move)

thanks in advance

Well you really need to enable DevFS in the kernel and have it mount automagically on boot. I think its under the FileSystems-->Misc File Systems-->DevFS

Re: Mouse Issues

all right thanks for the tip on devfs, but my primary concern was with the mouse,

Advisor
    devfs is deprecated, if your using a 2.6 kernel you can setup udev (which is probably what gentoo is using...)

on the mouse issue, what type of mouse do you have?

i dont want to sound like a rude ahole but i wiped gentoo, and gentoo was never my concern its this mouse, just stating the problem only appeared after i tried to boot gentoo

the mouse is a cheapy

i picked it up from the lcoal department store for 5 bucks, all it says on it is yahoo! it has a scroll and two buttons and thats it theres no model number just yahoo optical mouse with ps/2 hook up

Associate
    What boot manager are you using?

The reason I ask is that some folks install 3 or 4 distros on their PC's and just let the last distro handle the booting. This has the negative effect of using the last distro kernel to boot all of them in most cases unless you have manually copied the kernel from each different distro over to the last one.

I personally use gag http://gag.sourceforge.net and make all the distros write their boot loaders to the superblock of the root partition rather than the MBR.

Tigger is probably on the right track. Whatever gentoo did screwed something up.

Are you at a point on this box where you could reinstall?? I know it sounds like a windows fix, but I've found its always best to start with a clean slate.

On that note, what does the xorg.conf or the xf86config file look like for the mouse section??

i think you guys our on the right track, because i tried to boot windows last night for gaming and it couldnt find system file, so im doing a complete reinstall of everything

but the last thing i had installed was debian-amd64 after i had wiped gentoo but my grub had the kernels like this

image=/dev/hda5/boot/kernel-2.6.10 for gentoo or something like that

debian 32 was like
    image=/dev/hda1/boot/2.6.8-2-686

essentialy i reconfigured grub myself ill post later, once i get everything reinstalled, and configured and see if that fixes it

side note, i tried ubuntu hoary last night, and that worked with the mouse, but after that windows wouldnt boot

note just commenting, i only want//need help with the mouse