Thread: Be just not being all it can be

Be just not being all it can be

Well, what do you guys think?

Be was a great idea for an OS from what I could tell. It looked as if it combined all the great things from the 3 major OS's, as it makes me shudder to admit that Windows and Mac have great things in their OS's :'(, but I must. Be had the supposed graphics handling to match Mac, it would have the compatibility in the near future of the mighty(but horrible)Windows, and it would have the stability and power of Linux. What could be wrong with that picture? Well, a CEO that thinks he can take over the world in 6 months and a support base that completely deminished when Be took a extended rest to admire all the downloads Free Be received. Oh well, maybe they will wise up!

Aragorn!
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

malexg

Re: Be just not being all it can be

I think it was really stupid for them to make their latest version of Be free for download. Really stupid! Thousands of people downloaded Be instead of buying it.

If you're going to be open-source, then be open-source. If you're going to sell a closed source product, may people pay for it! > > >

What they shoulda did was offer down loads of their BeOS Betas, or called the freely downloaded version a beta.

Other than that, I think Be didn't run on all the hardware that's out their. Now that MacOSX is out, I think Be has loast it's opportunity. MacOSX is going to take their place, as Corel is going to write apps for Mac instead of Be. Be is outta business anyway, right?

Maybe they can win in the hand-held space. But that's pretty competitive now.

Linux is even starting to attack the hand held space...it is made for slow processors which of course a hand held processor is....so I think if Linux begins to dominate any market in the near future it will be the hand held....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

seamonkey

i tried Be...didnt work with my hardware (network card, mostly)....no network, no apps...heheh...no thanks

I think it was really stupid for them to make their latest version of Be free for download. Really stupid! Thousands of people downloaded Be instead of buying it.

If you're going to be open-source, then be open-source. If you're going to sell a closed source product, may people pay for it! > > >

What they shoulda did was offer down loads of their BeOS Betas, or called the freely downloaded version a beta.

Other than that, I think Be didn't run on all the hardware that's out their. Now that MacOSX is out, I think Be has loast it's opportunity. MacOSX is going to take their place, as Corel is going to write apps for Mac instead of Be. Be is outta business anyway, right?

Maybe they can win in the hand-held space. But that's pretty competitive now.