Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Microsoft DRM O/S Patent

Thread: Microsoft DRM O/S Patent

JimH

Microsoft DRM O/S Patent

M$ has been granted a patent on a digital rights management operating system.

From the patent"
    Digital rights management operating system

Abstract

A digital rights management operating system protects rights-managed data, such as downloaded content, from access by untrusted programs while the data is loaded into memory or on a page file as a result of the execution of a trusted application that accesses the memory. To protect the rights-managed data resident in memory, the digital rights management operating system refuses to load an untrusted program into memory while the trusted application is executing or removes the data from memory before loading the untrusted program. If the untrusted program executes at the operating system level, such as a debugger, the digital rights management operating system renounces a trusted identity created for it by the computer processor when the computer was booted. To protect the rights-managed data on the page file, the digital rights management operating system prohibits raw access to the page file, or erases the data from the page file before allowing such access. Alternatively, the digital rights management operating system can encrypt the rights-managed data prior to writing it to the page file. The digital rights management operating system also limits the functions the user can perform on the rights-managed data and the trusted application, and can provide a trusted clock used in place of the standard computer clock.

http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/15450.html
    http://cryptome.org/ms-drm-os.htm

This could have future implications for accessing DRM protected media on non M$ operating systems. This sounds like it goes hand in hand with the SSSCA.

Jim H

nfallon

Re: Microsoft DRM O/S Patent

DRM has been used by MS for a long time. The ActiveX control (OCX) required a digital signature from VeriSign if it was used in a web page. Otherwise you would get a message stating that the control may be unsafe. The developer usually had to pay a couple of hundred every 2 years for the digital signature.

It's just another way for MS to make money.

This will be another way for the RIAA to stretch their big arm and make money at the same time to. I just can't imagine that this will fly, and if what happened to me is any indication, then I really dont' think it'll fly.

My GF decided she was going to use Linux for everything she can, and eventually solely once she learns the OS because she is so pissed off at MS about this. My GF has rarely ever touched Linux and hasn't had any slight interest in it until she read the patent I showed her. I had to explain a few things, but then she understood what a bs maneuver this is.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

A few years ago when I was creating OCX's for the net I had to splurge for a digital signature. At that time MS said that the OCX's would not show up unless you purchased a digital signature. Developers were buying them left and right. Then MS released Windows 2000 and they didn't have a digital signature for their own content. That pissed off a lot of developers.

If MS goes ahead and decides to not load certain pages into it's browser or desktop because the pages or applications don't meet their content requirements you can bet there will be an even larger class action suit against them.

Neil

I don't know, maybe I am naieve, but I just don't see the overwhelming corporate support and devlepor support that will be needed to implement this. If not the users who will see how crappy this is, the tech savvy companies/developers will raise a hell fire...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

I don't know, maybe I am naieve, but I just don't see the overwhelming corporate support and devlepor support that will be needed to implement this. If not the users who will see how crappy this is, the tech savvy companies/developers will raise a hell fire...

Aragorn

I agree. I can't forsee any company going along with it.

Neil