Thread: OSX

Hybrid View

jman_77

OSX

Anyone seen Mac OS X yet? Last time I had my hands on a mac it was still in beta and I never grabbed it..
    Supposedly it's just unix, but it uses a kernel called Darwin and has some different tools and whatnot.
    Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?

Re: OSX

ewwww, Mac! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

PPC Kicks ass! The RISC Has been running 64 bit architecture for a while now, which makes the G4/400 as fast as a PIII 1gig or so, and the special power in there for photoshop and the like makes it really strong. I used to crunch through 400 meg, 25 layer PSDs like nothing with my G4... *sigh*

malexg

But will the PPC G4 Outperform Pentium4? I've seen benchmarks where a PPC G4/400MHz bearly outperforms a Pentium III 800MHz on kernel compilation and MP3 encoding.

If G4 bearly beats PIII, I doubt it'll beat P4, because I've seen P4 based systems perform 2x to a PIII.

malexg

Here's the link where I read this information:

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/...wdog20/6.shtml

But will the PPC G4 Outperform Pentium4? I've seen benchmarks where a PPC G4/400MHz bearly outperforms a Pentium III 800MHz on kernel compilation and MP3 encoding.

If G4 bearly beats PIII, I doubt it'll beat P4, because I've seen P4 based systems perform 2x to a PIII.

Hahaha, I love it....now if I can just get my hands on one of those Athlon 1200's!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

seamonkey

88 bucks these days.
    whew. must...resist...buying...urge...

Hahaha, I love it....now if I can just get my hands on one of those Athlon 1200's!

Aragorn

jman_77

buh... benchmarks are funny... did intel go to 64bit architecture in the P4? if not, then the G4 should still be kickin some ass. and we'll see what apple's got in mind next. RISC has been superior to CISC for a while now, but AMD seems to have some shiznit up their sleves and intel broke the 1ghz barrier.

malexg

;D Oh gee, I just realize I was reading the benchmark numbers I gave backwards. Looks like G4 was slower that PIII 800MHz, which was slower than Athlon 1200.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare an Athlon 1.2GHz with a PIII 800MHz.

Pentium 4 is 32-bit x86, but has new architectural features that enabled it to run faster when executing multimedia and network stuff.

RISC isn't always faster than CISC. Have you seen benchmark numbers for Itanium verses UltraSparc III? Itanium beats the pants off of UltraSparc III on fp operations, and is competitve with Ultra on integer operations.

I really wonder what's going on at IBM Motorola that they cannot produce processors with comparable price/performance to x86 chips. Oh well.

Check out the details here: http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/produ...w/bm012101.htm