Thread: Interesting article @ the Register

Spot

Interesting article @ the Register

Re: Interesting article @ the Register

Heheh, you gotta love those brits! I thought that was an excellent article! Thanks for the post spot!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

I have a problem with people who conclude "ANY" product isn't good just because "THEY" have problems with it.

Jim H

Spot

I agree, they've also followed up on the problem and figured out it was from the Dell machine that he was using. The factory setup is to use the cable select on the drive jumpers, as soon as he manually set the slave/master jumpers, he installed RH without a hitch.

LOL...that just brought about another debate on using an outdated protcol like CS, and why RH has a problem with it, yada yada yada.

Though it kinda makes sense to me, since, and if I'm wrong here please correct me, doesn't linux bypass the bios when it gets info on a hdd? That's why it's able to use a hdd that an older bios doesn't recognize. I have a 486 that has a 540 megger in it when the bios doesn't see anything more than a 200 or so...RH 6.2 is able to see and use all of it.
    If using CS, then the drives wouldn't have any hard spec'd definition of which drive is which...that would seem to me to cause problems in any implementation.

JimH

I agree, they've also followed up on the problem and figured out it was from the Dell machine that he was using. The factory setup is to use the cable select on the drive jumpers, as soon as he manually set the slave/master jumpers, he installed RH without a hitch.

Though it kinda makes sense to me, since, and if I'm wrong here please correct me, doesn't linux bypass the bios when it gets info on a hdd? That's why it's able to use a hdd that an older bios doesn't recognize. I have a 486 that has a 540 megger in it when the bios doesn't see anything more than a 200 or so...RH 6.2 is able to see and use all of it.
    If using CS, then the drives wouldn't have any hard spec'd definition of which drive is which...that would seem to me to cause problems in any implementation.
    LOL, cable select? Wonder what the hell their reason for using that. In my experience it never did work right. Yes, Linux does not get it hard drive info from the bios. From reading the article I get the impression the author did not have alot of Linux experience.

Jim H

Spot

Yep, apparently it's the Dell SOP.
    Followups on the saga can be found here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22562.html
    and here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22648.html
    and here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22649.html