Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windoze XP Professional

nfallon

Re: Windoze XP Professional

Yes, it's pretty much the same as Windows 2000. Windows 2000 was a little more stable than NT4 and introduced Directory Services. The GUI is still tied to the OS.

Neil

JimH

That was part of the deal that they made to settle the suit. That they would provide a second version if requested.
    They really go out of their way advertising that version don't they? :P :

Jim H

nfallon

They really go out of their way advertising that version don't they? :P :

Jim H

I doubt it's even available yet. They just made their deal with the feds a couple of weeks ago.

Neil

JimH

I doubt it's even available yet. They just made their deal with the feds a couple of weeks ago.
    ;D I know I was just taking a shot at M$, but them not "advertising" the existance of it is a foregone conclusion.

The majority of computer users will never know it even exists.

Jim H

;D I know I was just taking a shot at M$, but them not "advertising" the existance of it is a foregone conclusion.

Jim H

What bothers me more is that the majority of computer users won't care to know that it exists. I believe in the freedom to say I developed my software how I wanted to and don't want it don't use it. This doesn't entirely apply to MS though, they have the most widely used OS and it is just that, it is more than the regular "software" it is an OS. This means that people have specific needs for each and every computer. This is why an OS(i.e. Linux) needs to be customizable to the point that they could remove and install anything they want in the system. This is my $0.02 though...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

Jim H

Hi Jim,

I know you were just taking a shot at MS. I just wasn't sure if you knew that it hadn't been released yet.

As far as MS advertising it, I agree with you 100%. We will never see an ad that says get your copy of Windows XP with or without Outlook Express.

Neil

nfallon

What bothers me more is that the majority of computer users won't care to know that it exists. I believe in the freedom to say I developed my software how I wanted to and don't want it don't use it. This doesn't entirely apply to MS though, they have the most widely used OS and it is just that, it is more than the regular "software" it is an OS. This means that people have specific needs for each and every computer. This is why an OS(i.e. Linux) needs to be customizable to the point that they could remove and install anything they want in the system. This is my $0.02 though...

Aragorn

I think for Linux to succeed in the business world they have to figure out how to get VBA working on Linux. Most businesses have spent a substantial amount of cash developing apps that utilize VBA. The people that call the shots are usually the bean counters. Unless the businesses can port their current VBA application without effort there will still be a struggle to get businesses to switch to Linux in large numbers.

I checked out Star Offices newest and it has some capabilities to save the VBA code as macros. It's still a far stretch from what most businesses want.

Neil

JimH

This is an area that Borland is trying to fill with Kylix. I have not tried Kylix yet. Too busy, no time. :'( I haven't really been paying any attention as too how well they are progressing. I know that there were stablilty issues with RH 7.1 and Kylix version 1. I have a trial version of Kylix 2 Enterprise Edition around here somewhere in this mess that I picked up at Comdex. I will get around to trying it one of these days. That is as soon as I find it. :

Jim H