Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Windoze XP Professional - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windoze XP Professional

nfallon

Re: Windoze XP Professional

I have been running XP on 2 of the machines in my home sice beta1. As a developer and network administrator I don't have much of a choice. The 5 other machines have 2 linux, 2 Windows CE, and 1 Novell. Also have a Palm OS.

Windows XP is Windows 2000 with a new look if you want it. You can use the standard Windows 2000 appearance if that is what is preferred. I haven't had any crashes with the XP machines but have found that a lot of things don't work with it. Many of the application that run on Windows 2000 including the drivers don't work. Innoculate PC, my preferred virus software is not supported.

Unfortunately I will always have a Windows system in the house for development and networking purposes. After using Windows since Windows 1.0 I can finally get away from it for my day to day things such as email, internet, and some development. With the new Christtmas virus that just came out I can only say that I am glad that I made the switch. If my wife wasn't so hooked on Paint Shop Pro Linux would be on her system too.

The bottom line on Windows XP is, the system is stable and pretty. It is good for home users that have a hard time grasping concepts. It is a good workplace system because of the stability of the Office products.

Would I purchase another Microsoft product? More than likely yes becuase it is part of the industry that I chose to work in. Will I develop on my own against XP? No only for work. Would I recommend XP? Yes to some people no to others. XP does have the one nice feature of allowing someone to work on your system remotely similar to PC Anywhere. I deal with some stupid people that I maintain their systems for and that is one feature that I do like.

Neil

Well i just logged in today to finish off my linux downlaod and was greated with a nice message that my user profile was corrupt and could not be read.

So.....
    I lost my completly customised stop menu and desktop, including some stuff that i had to burn to CD. Luckily my Favourites were also imported into Mozilla, so there wasn't a problem there.
    I am _NOT_ impressed.....

This copy of windows will be coming off as soon as linux is downloaded, and it will be put in its right place. The cupboard with all the AOL Cds.... (oops... i shouldn't have said that.....)

Now my views on it....
    For something being marked as "The biggest thing since Windoze 95" i think m$ could have come up with something better than a point release for it. Its only NT 5.1, for something this bif i would have called it NT 5.5 at least, or even 6.
    The setup routine is VERY simple, hardly and user intervention required, i hate it!
    I like having complete control over what I install

The skins are OK i guess, but there are not very many
    Hmm, what else.....
    I thought m$ said you could uninstall IE, could someone please tell me where this "feature" is? its not in add/remove programs OR add/remove windows components..... Hmmmm
    It also doesn't run GTA2 :-(:-(

Other than that, I have to admit. it has been quite stable, tho it won't go into standby.

Enough gripes from me, Ill let you know if it lets me uninstall it or not later....

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

nfallon

Well i just logged in today to finish off my linux downlaod and was greated with a nice message that my user profile was corrupt and could not be read.

So.....
    I lost my completly customised stop menu and desktop, including some stuff that i had to burn to CD. Luckily my Favourites were also imported into Mozilla, so there wasn't a problem there.
    I am _NOT_ impressed.....

This copy of windows will be coming off as soon as linux is downloaded, and it will be put in its right place. The cupboard with all the AOL Cds.... (oops... i shouldn't have said that.....)

Now my views on it....
    For something being marked as "The biggest thing since Windoze 95" i think m$ could have come up with something better than a point release for it. Its only NT 5.1, for something this bif i would have called it NT 5.5 at least, or even 6.
    The setup routine is VERY simple, hardly and user intervention required, i hate it!
    I like having complete control over what I install

The skins are OK i guess, but there are not very many
    Hmm, what else.....
    I thought m$ said you could uninstall IE, could someone please tell me where this "feature" is? its not in add/remove programs OR add/remove windows components..... Hmmmm
    It also doesn't run GTA2 :-(:-(

Other than that, I have to admit. it has been quite stable, tho it won't go into standby.

Enough gripes from me, Ill let you know if it lets me uninstall it or not later....

Alastair
    The version that allows you to uninstall IE is not sold on the market but can be requested through MS. The version that is installed on new systems does not have that feature.

Neil

The version that allows you to uninstall IE is not sold on the market but can be requested through MS. The version that is installed on new systems does not have that feature.

Neil

How nice of them to make you go through all that trouble just so you can remove software that you should be able to remove by default! >

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

How nice of them to make you go through all that trouble just so you can remove software that you should be able to remove by default! >

Aragorn

That was part of the deal that they made to settle the suit. That they would provide a second version if requested.

Neil

Yeah I figured that is what it was, but it just irritates me that it isn't the one they put out on the shelves. I don't care anymore though, I wouldn't buy a MS os for anything anymore!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

That was part of the deal that they made to settle the suit. That they would provide a second version if requested.

Neil
    Yah, but how can u request a bootleg copy thru m$.... (oops, i shouldn't have said that :-/......)
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

nfallon

Yah, but how can u request a bootleg copy thru m$.... (oops, i shouldn't have said that :-/......)

LimeWire, Gnucleus, BearShare....

Lol, that is the indirect route....but trust me it is entirely legal, they just don't advertise that route... : : ;D

Aragorn

garskoci

Does anyone know anything about the architecture of XP? Is it still the same old brain damaged OS? Does it still allow applications to stomp on it's own memory? Is the gui still embedded in the OS? Just curious, it's been a while since I paid attention to a M$ OS. I just like to know in case I'm in one of those conversations with a pro-M$ person. Add big$$$ for licensing and you have a M$ OS that meets all of its requirements!