Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windoze XP Professional

Hybrid View

JimH

Windoze XP Professional

Hi,

I received a cd copy of WinXP Professional RC1 from M$ in the mail today. Have to support windoze (intentional misspelling) users, so unfortunately I have to keep up. I was thinking it would look better melted down into a pile of goo. ;D

Re: Windoze XP Professional

How does it look? Anything is better than ME, and 2k is ok as far as Winblows goes anyways....Any vast improvements?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Hi,

I haven't managed to get around to installing it yet. Will let know what I think.

#uptime
    6:43am up 23 days, 12:13, 5 users, load average: 0.07, 0.14, 0.09

Been awhile since windoze was booted on this box.

Well there is good reason for that!
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

we've got RC2 on some of the machines here at work... it looks kinda like KDE and has terrible DirectX support so far... but that's all I know at the moment. Haven't sat down and played with it yet.

JimH

I'm going to get around to installing mine one of these years. : It is still sitting here on my desk. Guess you can see I really use windoze alot.

Jim H

As of 9/21/01 I will have DSL!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! I am going to kiss my windoz cd goodbye and boot it out the window!! hehehe...I can't wait!!

Aragorn

JimH

LOL, I kissed mine goodbye along time ago. But I do keep it around just incase I want to play old game.

As of 9/21/01 I will have DSL!!!

And those 15 days will feel like 1500 days. ;D

Mojo

Yes i have windows XP Professional.

Oh dear. What can I say.

On first bootup it looks promising (well about as promising as a new version windows can be)

Ooooo look at that - drop shadows on my Dekstop icon text - and oh *gasp* wow look at that - would you believe it its skinnable! (although micrsoft do not support this neither have they actually released any development tools) Oh my goodness. Internet Explorer 6! Im so excited! Yippeee!!

Things went great until you actually did something on it. Sure its stable. Well i got some wierd bsods - and reboots at random but thats probably from flakey drivers - but essentially all XP is Windows NT with a graphical overhaul. All the usual 2k stuff is there - the awkwardly-placed Device Manager button on the hardware tab...

It does look quite nice - well the default microsoft skins - Oh damn it sorry i meant "Visual Styles" are actually quite hideous. Blue/green/orange not a nice combo i think. So i eventually made my own skin (damn look im doing it again) but never finished it.. (if you want it ask its very well done in my eyes)... but generally the only major thing that was different was the start menu (a new "improved" version called the start panel which hides all your apps and shows you the last 6 you used - oh and shows your name in a huge size and a little user pic (umm why?)...

And as for running it ive lsot count of how many programs wouldnt run.. even some old basic DOS tools didnt work... There is a compatability mode. That works i'd say about 50% of the time.

Well there ya go. My opinion. :-X - direct all flames to /dev/null

Aaron_Adams

I installed XP corporate edition awhile back ( thank you irc ) and I was impressed by how pretty it was. After 2 crashes in 3 days I decided it's back to win98se for me. I guess they got rid of the BSOD, just to have it freeze with no errors like Mac OS 8 and 9.