Thread: Stampede

Hybrid View

Panserbjorne

Stampede

FIRST POST!!

I'm running Mandrake, but I don't like it really. Screws up all the time....Stampede Linux (www.stampede.org) seems like a nice alternative when it gets past 0.91 Slepnir. Compiled just for Pentiums...ain't that nice.

Damn 26.4 modem...

Re: Stampede

Ack! your still on a 28.8 modem??? Eww...

Stampede eh? I'll have to check that one out.....relatively new distro huh? What were you doing with Mandrake that caused to to screw up all the time? It has a lot of razzle dazzle to make the windows transitioners feel at home....you might wanna give suse or redhat a chance.....they are good for newbies(if your a newbie) and are stable....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Panserbjorne

Mandrake? Well, nothing really... maybe I should note that this is 7.2 (8.0 came out 3 days after I finished downloading 7.2). All I did was install StarOffice and CodeWeaver's Wine. I like Debian a bit cause my uncle uses it, but Progeny Debian seems better for a sort of newbie like me.

Progeny is MUCH better for a newbie. A little bit more simplified. Mandrake is great for newbies who are having a hard time with the transistion.....I don't usually recommend any newbie to take up Debian right away because the learing curve can really bite you in the arse. If you can get it all going though as a newbie, you will be a very powerful Linux user in short period of time so more power to ya! Just remember, you need any help I am struggling through Debian to, so I can help ya out as well as other members of the board!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.