Thread: All Your Mandrake Are Belong To Us.

Hybrid View

robba

All Your Mandrake Are Belong To Us.

Well after Slackware caused my pubes to be torn out in massive chunks... My tryst with Red Hat began aaaaannnnnd ended abruptly after it would not get past install.

Then my soul began to darken to the jovial color of a 99 cent burrito. It sang. Yes ladies and gentlemen, my soul began to sing a song of Del Taco... but this is very much another story altogether. My argument at hand is that Mandrake 8.0 was a seamless install, with NO problems involving Hardware, ISP Goo, or the infamous "Burrito Envy".

-robba

Re: All Your Mandrake Are Belong To Us.

Robba, I agree with your vote on Mandrake, but, what the hell happened to you as a kid? Were you dropped repeatedly on your head? ;D

Just Kidding, Maybe

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

robba

<nerd>
    robba: I want to try and hit Josh with a magic missle.
    gm: okay, roll to hit.
    robba: right, well I get modifiers for having eaten a burrito!!
    gm: modifiers to your stinky ass, maybe... roll the fucking dice.
    robba: Shit! I missed!
    gm: Josh looks pissed. He nocks an arrow, and drops a bead.
    robbs: I cast "Bigbys Masturbating Hand"!!!
    gm: *looks over spell list* You're insane.
    robba: I wrote it down on character creation!!!
    gm: I'm going home. I can't beleive I missed WWF for this.
    </nerd>

Editors Note: Lock your door.

wow, your scary!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

<nerd>
    Josh: So, wait. Can I roll to steal his dew while he's looking for spell components?
    </nerd>

wow.. it's late...

gnuLNX

I have been using Linux for about 4 years (3 years exclusivly). I work for Sair linux and gnu certification and I have been around every major distribution. They are all good. I however prefer Mandrake. Why? Many people will tell you that Mandrake is for begginiers and such. Perhaps it is good for beginers. It is easy to use. IS that bad? It is easy, but you still have all the control. Seems like a win win situation.

Onething about distribuation. Many come with extrsa tools and utilities. Mandrake has several of these such as harddrake (a hardware detection tool). I like these tool. Yes if I switch linus distro's they will not be they, but remember they are open source so I can grab the sources and compile on my new distrobution and away I go.

Any how Disto picking is a personal choice. They are all good. I do find that Debian is still living in the dark ages. My boss would ring my neck for that.

I am going to face a lot of flaming for this, due to hypocracy(However you spell the darn thing). I agree that Mandrake is very nice, and I do prefer it over quite a few Distros. I completely agree that Debian is still in the Darkages with it's install program, and complete lack of assistance in any part of the installation. ALTHOUGH, I feel apt-get is a GREAT program that far surpasses the RPM. Mandrake has a lot of plusses, but my only true complaint is that it is quite pathetic when it comes to serving. Of course, as with any Linux distro, you can always tweak and modify and make it as good as any other, but it just isn't off the CD good to serve. I have to say that most Linux users never serve a web site or wan or lan or any other type of network, but for some power users who do, they might prefer the stability of Debian or a less "fluffy" Distro. But I do agree that Mandrake is prolly one of the best distros out there, I do like to give people a hard time about it though, for the H E double hockey sticks of it!
    BTW that is HELL!

Aragorn

mAineAc

No doubt about it Slackware is teh greatest out there. No dependancies not a lot of bullshit stuff you will never use automatically gets installed and programs don't get turned on unless you do it. Secure, Solid, and Stable. The three S's a truly great OS needs.
    ;D

seamonkey

couldnt you just put apt-get on a mandrake system?
    heh.

ive never used it, so i dunno.

I am going to face a lot of flaming for this, due to hypocracy(However you spell the darn thing). I agree that Mandrake is very nice, and I do prefer it over quite a few Distros. I completely agree that Debian is still in the Darkages with it's install program, and complete lack of assistance in any part of the installation. ALTHOUGH, I feel apt-get is a GREAT program that far surpasses the RPM. Mandrake has a lot of plusses, but my only true complaint is that it is quite pathetic when it comes to serving. Of course, as with any Linux distro, you can always tweak and modify and make it as good as any other, but it just isn't off the CD good to serve. I have to say that most Linux users never serve a web site or wan or lan or any other type of network, but for some power users who do, they might prefer the stability of Debian or a less "fluffy" Distro. But I do agree that Mandrake is prolly one of the best distros out there, I do like to give people a hard time about it though, for the H E double hockey sticks of it!
    BTW that is HELL!

Aragorn