Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Distro Difficulties!

Thread: Distro Difficulties!

jman_77

Distro Difficulties!

Okay, now accepting suggestions and input on the relative difficulty level of different distros. Please see here for our rating system.
    Submissions accepted by post, IM, e-mail, ICQ, smoke signal, carrier pigeon, or shouting really loud.

malexg

Re: Distro Difficulties!

SUSE 7.1 : Rated PG. Although getting my modem to Fax was NC-17 all the way. Getting my USB Scanner to work was rated R.

Debian, getting the modem to work PG-13
    getting soundcard to work G
    recompiling Kernel G
    getting Video Card to work NC-17 x 20
    (Of course there is now an OMP for it to make it
    easy!)
    Installing KDE NC 17 x 10

Slack, getting the modem to work G
    getting soundcard to work PG-13
    recompiling Kernel NC-17
    (Still haven't figured it out)
    getting vcard to work G
    Installing KDE G (Pre-Installed)

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

SuSE7.2 PG
    Redhat7.1 PG
    Libranet1.9.1 PG-13
    Slackware8.0 R
    Mandrake8.0 PG
    Corel PG

Nutz

Caldera 2.4 on a '97 Packard Bell-xxx* (still have no sound)
    Caldera installation-xxx (don't touch that mouse,it will freeze)
    Mandrake 8.0-Pg-13
    Slackware-as soon as my darkages modem finishes downloading it-will see

*the old ibm keyboards are indestructible!you can throw em,stomp on em,beat to a bloody pulp and they still work!

Sekihmet

Mandrake PG and PG-13!!?? lol!! Its easier then windoze!

Slackware PG-13
    Redhat PG
    Mandrake G

jasonjwebman

Re:Distro Difficulties!

HEY ALL!! I started with SuSE 8.0 personal that i bought at Best Buy, had a lot of problems with it, when i would shut down to boot into windows it would lock up on the install process, my num lock and caps lock lights would flash and it wouldn't go any further than that. Never could get back in, gave me a x11 file library not found error, so i swithced to RedHat 7.3 that i downloaded and have had no problems so far, been using it now for about a month or so, very happy with it. Got my dsl connection to work fine and email set up too so all is way in the way of RedHat for me. Also SuSE tech support could not even get the problem resolved for me, they have a time limit on calls and the guy said to email the problem to them and they would look at it and replay to me, what a crock that is, if i cant get in, how can i email the problem to them, except under windows :P. but they didnt know if i had windows or not..... oh well... like RedHat better anyway.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjwebman
    would lock up on the install process, my num lock and caps lock lights would flash and it wouldn't go any further than that.
    The flashing led's indicate that there was a kernel panic (the kernel crashed).

You are the second one to post a message on the board about a poor response from Suse tech support about a problem with 8.0.

Jim H

jasonjwebman

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjwebman
    would lock up on the install process, my num lock and caps lock lights would flash and it wouldn't go any further than that.
    The flashing led's indicate that there was a kernel panic (the kernel crashed).

You are the second one to post a message on the board about a poor response from Suse tech support about a problem with 8.0.

Jim H
    thanks for the reply jim, any way to fix this and what about the x11 files. i would like to get my money worth out of suse and try to give it a shot, i didnt get to use it much since it would do this on a restart, and my wife still likes to use windows. any help would be aprreciated

JimH

Start a new thread in the Suse forum on your install problem. Include a list of your hardware and exactly where in the install process it crashes and what, if anything, you are doing when it does.

Jim H