Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What's Your Favorite Distro - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Distro

Re: What's Your Favorite Distro

I like the fact that it doesn't give you enough. I like to know what is on my system and This lets me get the latest versions of the software I like. I run Portsentry, p0f, and Snort. Those are the only extras I needed to add. I mostly use my laptop for web development and it already comes with Apache, Tcl, and Perl. I use Tcl for some CGI and Perl for other CGI programs. They both have their strengths and Tcl is easier to program in. I also don't use the Slak package manager. I prefer to run ./config, make, make install on every system I use (including the Mandrake system). (Must be the programmer in me)

gaxprels
    I understand what your saying. It is just my feeling that it should include atleast the basics and then you can build upon that and upgrade. I don't blame you for not using the package manager, I found it completely useless. I like installing from source, except that I have yet to find a good trustworthy way to uninstall. But there are a few links here that lead to programs at sourceforge that uninstall from source, so I am going to have to give those a whirl!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

RedHat 7.2, but then I've only used RedHat. Why? When I first decided to try Linux just under a year ago, I bought a copy of RedHat Linux Unleashed (at least I think that's the title, it's a big, thick red book) at an Outlet Mall bookstore for $20 and it came with RedHat 5.2. It seemed to work well enough, so I upgraded.
    Well welcome to GLO! JimH will be pleased to see that there is another dedicated RH user here! Once he gets his internet connection back anyways! :-/

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Well welcome to GLO! JimH will be pleased to see that there is another dedicated RH user here! Once he gets his internet connection back anyways! :-/

Aragorn
    You can say that again, it only took 4 days to get back online. :'( Oh well, at least I'm back. Although at a slower speed and a higher price.

Jim H :'(

You can say that again, it only took 4 days to get back online. :'( Oh well, at least I'm back. Although at a slower speed and a higher price.

Jim H :'(
    So what are you on now?

Aragorn

JimH

So what are you on now?

Aragorn
    Sprint/Earthclink. Sprint is the ONLY local phone company now.

Jim H

Sprint/Earthclink. Sprint is the ONLY local phone company now.

Jim H
    Better than Verizon!

http://www.verizoneatspoop.com !!!!

Aragorn

JimH

Better than Verizon!

http://www.verizoneatspoop.com !!!!

Aragorn
    LOL, might be the only one worse then <cough> AOL <cough>.

Jim H

Nope, I'll EVEN!!! take AOL over Verizon...they have bent me over so many times and made me squeal like a pig I am sick of it! They refuse to install the converter for DSL, they have screwed up my bill three times in the last 6 months...even got a bill for 25k! I nearly shit my pants! I called and they said they got my account mixed up with an business account! That is more than I make in a year! I knew I didn't make the phone calls I was going to strangle my fiancee!!! :-/

Aragorn

I understand what your saying. It is just my feeling that it should include atleast the basics and then you can build upon that and upgrade. I don't blame you for not using the package manager, I found it completely useless. I like installing from source, except that I have yet to find a good trustworthy way to uninstall. But there are a few links here that lead to programs at sourceforge that uninstall from source, so I am going to have to give those a whirl!

Aragorn
    Check out Encap packaging. I haven't used it, yet, but the idea is excellent from a SysAdmin standpoint (if you have the extra space for all of those sym-links) Just do a search for Encap on google and see what comes up. I can't remember where I first saw it, but I am considering it if I reinstall Slak (if I don't like Debian).

gaxprels

johnqpublic

You people are really depressing me cuz Verizon is my wireless and home phone carrier.They have been very good so far(knock on wood).Comparing them to AOL is a low blow.