Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Distro

bdl

Re: What's Your Favorite Distro

I have, in fact, used every distro I could get my hands on until coming to my senses
    and choosing debian. I spent probably 6 months working
    with RH 5.2 when it came out, then tried FreeBSD, moved on Slackware where I spent
    probably 3 years working with and learning Linux and about six months ago I started
    using Debian only. I know most people will say 'apt-get' is the best feature of Debian,
    and yes, it's pretty nice; having said that, my favorite attributes of Debian are:

• Nice clean SYS-V init structure
    • Debian tools - update-rc.d, update-modules, dpkg, many others
    • Adherence to GNU and LSB
    • Ultra-stable (even running 'testing')

If I had my way, I'd only use FreeBSD, because it's incredibly stable and has much better
    memory and userspace allocation than even Debian, but alas, the hardware support isn't as
    complete as I would like it, and there are a few other features lacking to give me reason
    to use GNU/Linux as my desktop and keep FreeBSD as a server platform alone. Sigh.

If anyone's interested, I've got Debian CDs.

BDL, have you tried Progeny? Awesome distro, just absolutely awesome!!!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Sekihmet

Thanks for the welcome.

I run Slack 8.

I compiled 2.4.9 and it worked satisfactory. The only thing that was somewhat annoying was it didn't detect my NIC, so I had to fiddle with that.

What specifically do you mean by how I did it? Here is my simple explanation of what I did:

I made sure the file deps matched the requirements or above in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

Make clean
    Make dep
    Make menuconfig
    Make bzImage

Then I backed up my original bzImage, copied the new bzImage to /vmlinuz , booted and it ran fine.

Is that what you meant by how? If not let me know, and I'll in turn let you know

bdl

BDL, have you tried Progeny? Awesome distro, just absolutely awesome!!!

Aragorn
    As a matter of fact, I was a Progeny beta tester, and I received a full boxed-set and a t-shirt. Woohoo!

You don't still use it though eh? Ahhh I love it, only had a problem when I wanted to install anything off of the second CD it automatically installed the whole damn thing...it was a pain in the arse...but I think I am going to go back to it soon!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Panserbjorne

hahahaha.........Slackware all the way, finally got it to work.

Don't know about the kernel compile yet though.

Hi all,
    I like Mandrake for my main home system. It's a great all around system for multimedia and such. I run Slakware 7.0 on my laptop. I like having to configure things by hand (I learn more that way) and Slak isn't bloated with a lot of junk I will never use. I downloaded Debian (No, not Progeny, Aragorn) and will be installing it on my laptop to take it for a spin. If I like it I may try Progeny. I had SuSE, but didn't like the german (english) man pages. The only thing about Caldera I have ever enjoyed was being able to play tetris while it downloaded. Red Hat is okay, but I like Mandrake better. Enough rambling. Thanks for listening (reading) guys/gals.

gaxprels

Hi all,
    I like Mandrake for my main home system. It's a great all around system for multimedia and such. I run Slakware 7.0 on my laptop. I like having to configure things by hand (I learn more that way) and Slak isn't bloated with a lot of junk I will never use.
    This is Distro Wars so I have to butt in here. Your right, Slackware is not bloated, in fact it is soooo not bloated it doesn't give you enough on the first disk to run a decent system. That is ridiculous in my opinion, I do like the nice font option, and the fact that it is configurable in the way that Debian is configurable. The packaging system is very rough say it nicely. Best to just stick with source versus the .tgz crap....sorry if I flamed you, but slack REALLY got on my nerves here recently.

I downloaded Debian (No, not Progeny, Aragorn) and will be installing it on my laptop to take it for a spin. If I like it I may try Progeny.
    Debian is great, and I think I am going to go back to it. I am giving RH 7.2 a try right now but as of current I am not to terribly impressed with it. Maybe it is more KDE(that is why I got rid of it), but I am also not too happy with RPM, it makes some things easier, but I don't like how it gives you files and not the packages associated with it, so you are stuck using something like RPMfind, or such. I am a fan of apt-get, so....

I had SuSE, but didn't like the german (english) man pages. The only thing about Caldera I have ever enjoyed was being able to play tetris while it downloaded. Red Hat is okay, but I like Mandrake better. Enough rambling. Thanks for listening (reading) guys/gals.

gaxprels
    Rambling is always encouraged! I have yet to try SuSE or Caldera, I want to try SuSE, with the current path of Caldera I have chosen to not have any interest in them. Between RH and MDK I have to say RH atleast so far, MDK is tooo windowsy in it's control over your system, unless like you said in another post you do expert and then you run a fairly good system.

Aragorn

gneiss

RedHat 7.2, but then I've only used RedHat. Why? When I first decided to try Linux just under a year ago, I bought a copy of RedHat Linux Unleashed (at least I think that's the title, it's a big, thick red book) at an Outlet Mall bookstore for $20 and it came with RedHat 5.2. It seemed to work well enough, so I upgraded.

This is Distro Wars so I have to butt in here. Your right, Slackware is not bloated, in fact it is soooo not bloated it doesn't give you enough on the first disk to run a decent system. That is ridiculous in my opinion, I do like the nice font option, and the fact that it is configurable in the way that Debian is configurable. The packaging system is very rough say it nicely. Best to just stick with source versus the .tgz crap....sorry if I flamed you, but slack REALLY got on my nerves here recently.

Aragorn
    I like the fact that it doesn't give you enough. I like to know what is on my system and This lets me get the latest versions of the software I like. I run Portsentry, p0f, and Snort. Those are the only extras I needed to add. I mostly use my laptop for web development and it already comes with Apache, Tcl, and Perl. I use Tcl for some CGI and Perl for other CGI programs. They both have their strengths and Tcl is easier to program in. I also don't use the Slak package manager. I prefer to run ./config, make, make install on every system I use (including the Mandrake system). (Must be the programmer in me)

gaxprels