Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What distro should I install now?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What distro should I install now?

JimH

What distro should I install now?

Alright guys how about some idea's on a distro to install on my spare partition?

Now that I have my high speed access, I have the speed to play. ;D It should support an ftp install, so I can give my connection another test ;D.

Any suggestions?

Jim H

johnqpublic

Re: What distro should I install now?

Try Slack 8 on for size and see if you can compile a working kernel in the dang thing!It is the only distro that has stumped me thus far.If you got 20 bucks lying around consider Libranet also.

JimH

Ok, I take a look at Slack 8 and see what kind of installs it supports. Anyone else with a suggestion?

Debian my dear boy, debian! You can even try Progeny which is a SWEEEEEEET ASSSS distro....try that see what you can do with it....I bet you'll fall in love with Progeny....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

A vote for Progeny Debian! We will look at it and see. It looks like Slack 8 doesn't support an ftp install :'(, will have to grab the images.

Mojo

COREL LINUX (sorry bad joke)

x0xCRIZx0x

SuSE!

LiNuts

For a newbiesh type person i would recommend Libranet, its debian based and is very easy to install.

Once installed you will be in apt heaven
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Swishy

Re:What distro should I install now?

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Alright guys how about some idea's on a distro to install on my spare partition?

Now that I have my high speed access, I have the speed to play. ;D It should support an ftp install, so I can give my connection another test ;D.

Any suggestions?

Jim H

With high speed net access and time to spare give gentoo a go cant beat a fully compiled from scratch system
    and they are continually updating thier packages ,Im running stock vanilla kernel and reiser , and even withthe stock kernel nothing else out thier touches it for response

Cheers.
    Swishy

JimH

Re:What distro should I install now?

I actually had Gentoo installed on another drive until I wiped it out to look at Slackware 8.1.

If you have high speed access and like to live on the bleeding edge, then Gentoo is pretty cool. 8)

Jim H