Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Static and DHCP

Thread: Static and DHCP

Hybrid View

Aaron_Adams

Static and DHCP

Lately I've been going over to a friends house who runs a router that doesn't run DHCP. At home, my router does. When I go to his house with my laptop, which I don't shut off on the way over, I run netconfig to change the settings to static and add all the new info. I have yet to get it to work without rebooting. Also when I get back home and I run netconfig and set it back to DHCP, it doesn't get "on the network" until I reboot again. I've changed the netconfig settings and then changed the ifconfig eth0 info, and I've tried ifconfig eth0 down then ifconfig eth0 up, in hopes that when it is reinitialized it would get the settings but it doesn't work. I'm sure there has to be a way to do this without rebooting. Do I have to reinitialize the modules or something?

Thanks for your help!

Aaron

Spot

Re: Static and DHCP

Is it a pcmcia NIC? If so, you might try stopping the pcmcia service before you disconnect at home. When you get to yer friend's house, reset the info, then restart pcmcia. It's worth a shot anyway.
    Also, there might be some sort of "scheme" setup available, sort of like roaming profiles. If you google around a bit, you should be able to come up with something.

JimH

Did you try just restarting networking. On Redhat you would use:

service network restart

Your Slackware install have something similiar?

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

I'm not sure. One of my friends recommended doing what you suggested. (A RH user, imagine that). What he suggested was in /etc/init.d/foo (I can't remember beyond that) but slack doesn't have /etc/init.d/ so it didn't help.

I'm going to look into it tonight, as I have time tonight! Hurrah for time (as mentioned on *nix board).

I'll let you know what I find.