Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Nother IPchains question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nother IPchains question

johnqpublic

Nother IPchains question

I've noticed when compiling a new kernel I'll get an "IPchains protocol not available " when my new kernel loads.However, everything seems to work just fine. I get on the net ok . I use a router so all my computers are hooked up to my cable modem.This only happens on kernels I compile so anyone have an idea what's causing this?I use SuSE if that helps but it has happened in Redhatand Drake also.

Re: Nother IPchains question

Only thing I can guess is you have IP Chains setup somewhere in your init scripts, but you didn't enable it in your kernel configuration. I would say a quick fix is to recompile your kernel and add ip chains support....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Sounds like you forgot to enable something in your kernel config. When do you see "IPchains protocol not available"?

Jim H

johnqpublic

Sorry to take so long to reply.I forgot about this thread.Yes, Aragorn and JimH,you were both right in that I have not been enabling support for ipchains.I've got that configured right now,so thank you guys for the assist.

Well thank you for coming back and saying hi to your old friends back here at GLO! Been awhile, be sure to come and visit more often!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

blair

Hi all

I get this in my /var/log/messages.

Dec 16 12:19:00 apache kernel: Packet log: output REJECT eth0 PROTO=1 203.53.180.69:3 139.130.4.4:3 L=101 S=0xC0 I=24522 F=0x0000 T=255 (#54)

203.53.180.69: The ipchains machine (running DNS)
    139.130.4.4: ISP's DNS server.

This message will appear even though I have explicitly accepted outgoing packets heading for 139.130.4.4 on port 3 in rc.firewall.

I have searched for this and have come up with a german linux mailing list. They talk about this being an error in ipchains logging system, and nothing to be concerned about. I just wanted to double check this.

I am running Redhat 6.2 on a celeron500/128mb. It is running a DNS server, an apache server, ftp server and sendmail. It might also be one of these servers trying to send out the rejected packet on port 3.

I wouldn't call myself experienced at using linux (used it for 1 and half years) but I know my way around the command line well enough, and anything I don't understand I would search for it on google ;D.

JimH

Dec 16 12:19:00 apache kernel: Packet log: output REJECT eth0 PROTO=1 203.53.180.69:3 139.130.4.4:3 L=101 S=0xC0 I=24522 F=0x0000 T=255 (#54)

203.53.180.69: The ipchains machine (running DNS)
    139.130.4.4: ISP's DNS server.

This message will appear even though I have explicitly accepted outgoing packets heading for 139.130.4.4 on port 3 in rc.firewall.
    Hmmm, been to long since I used 6.2, don't remember if that was a bug or not. What version of ipchains?

/sbin/ipchains -V

Another possiblility if you are specifically blocking ICMP packets before the line to allow them, then the packets will be blocked. Will look and see when I get time if I can find anything on a bug.

Jim H

blair

Hmmm, been to long since I used 6.2, don't remember if that was a bug or not. What version of ipchains?

/sbin/ipchains -V

Another possiblility if you are specifically blocking ICMP packets before the line to allow them, then the packets will be blocked. Will look and see when I get time if I can find anything on a bug.

Jim H
    I am running version 1.3.9.

Btw, an ipchains -v command specifies that ipchains will be used in verbose mode

Also, I am blocking ICMP. I will check this out and change it if necessary. I will get back to you on that

Edit:
    Ok, i disabled the ICMP info in rc.firewall. I will get back to you in the morning and let you know if it has cleared up Thanks Jim.

Errr...I don't know lickety split about networking, but I believe you read the command wrong it is

ipchains -V <----Capital not lower case!

Aragorn

blair

Ahh i see

My mistake :P

Thankyou for correcting me Aragorn ;D

Edit:
    Spelling :