Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I am using C++ again....

Well I am using C++ again....

I've conquered my fears and dived into classes. I still think struct makes more sense. It really is true that anything you can do in C++ you can do in C. C++ might shorten the code in some places, but in others it just makes it longer and harder(ie classes). I am also attempting Win32 API programming, I know I know, but I want to broaden my horizons on all spectrums. I do have to say though it SUCKS!!! It is so difficult to understand and there isn't a single online tutorial that explains it worth a damn, they expect you to know it before they teach it to you! AUGH!! Oh well....Anything I do in Win32 I'll port over to Linux, but I still have to use Windows primarily because they screwed up on my DSL and they don't know when or if they'll ever get me DSL! AUGH, never ever trust Verizon!!!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Re: Well I am using C++ again....

I'm still looking for a good Linux programming project. I'm looking to improve my novice C/C++ skills. The "too busy, no time" problem keeps getting in the way. :'(

What level of project are you looking for? You could do a simple console program, a bit more difficult tkinter program, or a good opengl proggy....whatchya looking for?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

I haven't decided on a project yet. It will probably be a KDE2 GUI based project.

jman_77

I still have to use Windows primarily because they screwed up on my DSL and they don't know when or if they'll ever get me DSL! AUGH, never ever trust Verizon!!!
    http://www.verizonreallysucks.com

jman_77

Oh, almost forgot... you kids should check out KDevelop for all your Unix Programming needs. I like it. It's a good clean tool to write code with and provides you with some nice templates and whatnot. Try it out.

JimH

Oh, almost forgot... you kids should check out KDevelop for all your Unix Programming needs. I like it. It's a good clean tool to write code with and provides you with some nice templates and whatnot. Try it out.
    Yes, Kdevelop is VERY NICE!. But then I still open Emacs alot of the time.

Aragorn, what happened with your DSL?

Jim H

I should really put this in the rants section, but I am the admin so I get to do what I want! LOL. Here is the story:

I ordered DSL and got a confirmation sent to me and everything. The day of, the 21st, I was supposed to get it installed the guy didn't show up. Soooo I called verizon and asked what was up. They said that DSL is not in my area. I said that was funny because I have the receipt right here saying it is and that you would be out here today. Also, you have had a month to notify me that everything you sent me was BS and that my line isn't actually DSL capable. Then the customer service rep arrogantly told me that I should have called to confirm if I wanted to be sure, hehe, I believe I yelled at him enough to have him choose his words more wisely next time. Although, I AM TOTALLY convinced that these people leave notes for the next with "This guy is an asshole" type message because when I called back 20 mins later this lady gave me one hell of an attitude at first until I NICELY explained my situation then she was very apologetic and tried to rectify the situation and made the comment to herself "Let me take this comment out of here"...hmmmm...interesting, what comment might that be. Since the customer service reps didn't know why DSL isn't available in my area I asked to be transferred to their technical dept. It was bit like this:

ME: "Hi, your online phone qualifier said I had DSL capabilities on my line, and when I check now even though your entire customer service dept swears I do not it says that I am signed up for DSL service. So I am asking you, who should know this better than your customer service reps, do I have DSL on my line or not." (It really says that to! I periodically check back to see and it says I am already a DSL member! If I get a bill I will personally shove it up a Verizon employees ass!)

TECH: "Well with the phone number you gave me you do have DSL capabilities. OH, wait, nevermind." (Dead air)

ME: "Ummm, mind explaining Oh wait nevermind to me?"

TECH: "I don't think you would understand, it is just techincal difficulties"

<VERY IRRITATED AT THIS ARROGANT PRICK>

ME: "Well why don't you give me a shot since I probably have more techinical experience in the last month than you have had in your entire lifetime."

TECH: "Well we had DSL service to your complex until a computer surge took out our equipment 9 months ago and we haven't had time to order new equipment. I would expect this computer surge error to be fixed within the next year or so."

ME: "First of all, what the hell is a computer surge? Do you mean an electrical surge? There is no such thing as a computer surge, what did the complex do turn all the computers on at once and computer surge your box? Second, a computer surge if it actually existed wouldn't be an error, an error implies software mistake or a human error, well I guess you can explain this as a human error on the side of your company. Next, you have had 9 months and you haven't had time to ORDER new equipment? Well that is just plain pathetic, especially the fact that it is going to take a year to rectify this problem. I want to speak to a supervisor, and now."

TECH: "Sorry, our supervisor is talking to his wife on the phone right now, I'll have him call you back in a few hours. You have a very nice day sir(in a very snobby voice), bye bye"<HUNGUP ON ME>

I was going to call back and waste my last remaining hours of the day making it my personal mission to change the entire corporate structure of Verizon by reaming them one by one over the phone, but I figured that wouldn't do much good. So, I am still with modem, and if DSL does finally get added to my complex I refuse to use them, I am going to possibly spend the extra money to use one of the other DSL providers in my area, but I have to wait until I make a bit more money. With this site and bills, I am rather poor at the moment.

Aragorn

JimH

It is amazing to me they are still in business with that kind of customer service. Sounds like you are going to be restricted to dial-up for awhile longer.

jman_77

Excerpt from verizonreallysucks.com
    As many we're sure are aware, a class action is being filed against Verizon alleging that they were aware their customers would experience significant delays in obtaining DSL service as well as experience a multitude of technical problems precluding them from the service they were promised. Of course, we at VerizonEatsPoop.com are proponents of such a lawsuit empowering and unifying customers to take legal action against such lies and false promises promulgated by Verizon.

We've had opportunity to speak with the staff of Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld & Toll , the firm handling the class action; the following form will send Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld & Toll the necessary information for a customer to join the class action. We assure you that this information will be held in the strictest of confidence and not divulged to any third party. We therefore urge all of you who have been lied to and frustrated by Verizon's repeated poor service to fill out the form below and join the class action.
    Maybe you should go look over that web site. Oh, and, I should mention.... Don't be too harsh on the support reps... You'll very quickly find in a job like that there are certain things the company does that suck, that are obviously stupid, and that you can't do anything about.. it makes ya bitter, and you stop caring about the customers... and yes, he probably did make a note in the database saying you were an asshole. We all do
    </tired support rep rant>