Thread: I seek the treasure inside the oyster!

Aaron_Adams

I seek the treasure inside the oyster!

I plan on starting Perl (I know Oysters produce "pearls", but how could I resist!) fairly soon.

Just curious if anyone here that has used it much has any valuable tips or suggestions. Anyone know worthwhile books to purchase? My guess would be Oreilly... although they seem to have a plethora of texts on it, and I wouldn't know which to pick.

Aaron

Re: I seek the treasure inside the oyster!

Aragorn: Shakes head....you've gone to the darkside! :'( :'(

Aragorn :-[
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Aaron_Adams

What is the lightside in your opinion? Python? ???

What is the lightside in your opinion? Python? ???
    But of course! Is there any question? Python has all the power of Perl plus a lot more.

There are TWO(count'em, only two) distinct things that perl has over python:

1. Regular Expressions - Now let me explain to you that you can do all the same things in Python, it just requires a tad bit more code.

2. Speed of Execution - Perl is SLIGHTLY faster than python in execution. But the ease of reading python code and the ability to debug Python code so much faster, far outweighs the slight increase in execution speed. The difference is so small you don't even notice it.

Python is the way to go, use the Python Luke!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Aaron_Adams

Hmmm.... I was told Python wasn't that good for things other then database querying ( i think?) and such. (This comes from other peoples experience strictly). They all suggested I use Perl. One of my friends that uses Python at work says reading another persons Python code is one of the hardest things he has ever done lol.

I dunno what I'll do, time to think more I suppose. Another thing Perl has over Python is that if you're ever on any sort *nix system, chances are they have Perl on them and not Python.

Hmmm.... I was told Python wasn't that good for things other then database querying ( i think?) and such. (This comes from other peoples experience strictly).
    Python is incredible at dealing with databases, but it is far beyond that, look at http://www.zope.com for and http://www.mailman.com for two instances of complete large scale programs written in Python. You can't do that with Perl.

They all suggested I use Perl. One of my friends that uses Python at work says reading another persons Python code is one of the hardest things he has ever done lol.
    Are you sure he wasn't talking about Perl? This is one of the largest complaints of even Perl programmers is the readability a week or two later after creating the program. They can't even read their own, more or less read someone elses. On the other hand the Python syntax is so simplistic it is easy to read even months or years later. This fact has even been acknowledged by the Perl community.

I dunno what I'll do, time to think more I suppose. Another thing Perl has over Python is that if you're ever on any sort *nix system, chances are they have Perl on them and not Python.
    True and not true. Python is included in almost every default installation I have seen, and as you have seen I have tried a lot of distros lately. In fact, in many cases if anyone installs gimp, they have to install Python because many of the plugins for gimp have been programmed in PyGTK(I think that is the right library). So python is pretty standard on all *nix systems now. If not the download for Python is very small, and very quick to install.

Sorry to make you more confused, but I say try Perl for a month. Then try Python for a week. Then make your decision.

Aragorn

Aaron_Adams

Ya, I think I might try both.

From what I've seen of Python and Perl code, Python was easier to read... but I've never actually tried either so I don't know. I'll let you know what I decide on.

Thanks for the help.

While you're at it, give Tcl a try. (not just for gui, ya know) Also, O'Reilly books that will help more for the newbie are:
    Understanding Regular Expressions
    Programming Perl
    Learning Perl

Hope this helps.

gaxprels