Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just can't make up my mind, until now! LOL

Re: Just can't make up my mind, until now! LOL

I thought kylix was the linux port of delphi... :-/
    Quoted from the coverdisk that it came from:

"KYLIX: At last, a Delphi-Compatible Linux development language and environment -- and its compiler produces actual machine code"

Tho, you can chalenge me on the fact that it is only Delphi Comaptable, I don't really mind... :-S
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

As much as I do despise the MS cronies, VB is a pretty good language. It is great for quick application development, I personally would not use it for large and cumbersome projects, but I am sure nfallon would disagree with me on this as well, which is fine!

I personally would use a more efficient language such as C for the large ones. ALTHOUGH programming using MFC or API is an EXTREMELY horrible process in my opinion and VB makes it much easier.

Yet Linux isn't plagued with MFC or API and it has been shown the XLibraries are much easier to work with and more efficient in many ways than the Windows API.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Just because MS developed VB doesn't make the language bad. The language itself is well documented and developed. It's fine to hate a particular company for their way of doing business but to condem every product that they make is crazy.
    I never said VB was bad, just that there were viable alternatives from other companies. Using a M$ product just continues to extend Microsoft's strangle hold over computer users. I prefer freedom of choice in choosing what I run on my computers. Microsoft see's freedom of choice as a threat to their empire that must be stamped out. I don't "hate" them. I just don't like the way they do business. I guess I just take "honesty and respect for others" more serious then some. This is something M$ has yet to learn.

A virus or Trojan Horse can be created in any language. Most of the first viruses were created against the Mac which was programmed in Pascal or C at that time. The first virus has shown up for the Palm OS. It was created in C. Viruses are always going to be around no matter what language is used. By the way. The majority of viruses that are created today are done in VB Script not VB. VB Script is a subset of the Visual Basic language. Those same scripts could just as easily been developed in Java Script. I'm sure in the future you will see a lot of Java based viruses
    Hmmm, I think I stirred up the indians. ;D Which is what I was trying to do. ;D "The porting of VB viruses to Linux? " comment was meant as a shot at the security or lack thereof security in some M$ products. It was not meant to be taken seriously. Note the "wink" at the end of the comment.

As for viruses on Linux. Even after you get a virus on a Linux system, it still has to gain root access on the system to do any damage other then possibly screwing up a users home directory. Some of the recent windows viruses took advantage of security issues for which there were already patches. Incompetent system admins IMHO is the number one reason for the spread of virsuses. Although user stupidity (which you can't do anything about) and poor security features of some software products cannot be overlooked for helping.. Simply stripping executable attachments from incoming e-mails would go along way in preventing the spread of virsuses.

Hmmm, I think I should have put this under "rants and flames". :

Jim H

nfallon

As much as I do despise the MS cronies, VB is a pretty good language. It is great for quick application development, I personally would not use it for large and cumbersome projects, but I am sure nfallon would disagree with me on this as well, which is fine!

I personally would use a more efficient language such as C for the large ones. ALTHOUGH programming using MFC or API is an EXTREMELY horrible process in my opinion and VB makes it much easier.

Yet Linux isn't plagued with MFC or API and it has been shown the XLibraries are much easier to work with and more efficient in many ways than the Windows API.

Aragorn
    If I were to write the same application in C as one in VB it would take at least 10 times the amount of time to complete the application.

I've used VB to write applications that perform automated filter testing for the cell phone industry at the repeater sites, large scale automation of POS systems for supermarkets with touch screen technology, and large database applications that utilized Oracle, Sybase, and SQL Server. It's much easier to keep track of a large scale application with VB than with any other language.

VB can also access the WinApi directly and manipulate whatever keys need to be changed much easier than in C++.

My second language of choice is C not C++. Anything that can be done in C++ usually has already been done in C. Some companies will only allow C development when developing against Palm or Windows CE devices.

nfallon

I thought kylix was the linux port of delphi... :-/
    Quoted from the coverdisk that it came from:

"KYLIX: At last, a Delphi-Compatible Linux development language and environment -- and its compiler produces actual machine code"

Tho, you can chalenge me on the fact that it is only Delphi Comaptable, I don't really mind... :-S
    I'm not familiar with Delphi but after doing a search for Visual PAscal both Delphi6 and Kylix came up in the search. I have used Pascal in the past many years ago and Kylix is definately Pascal.

JimH

Have you ever tried or even looked a Delphi/Kylix? This isn't a bias against M$, but a bias towards Borland. Borland was the maker of the first C/C++ compiler I ever bought/used. I have a definite bias towards their products, which in my definitely biased opinion are excellent. ;D

Jim H

JimH

I'm not familiar with Delphi but after doing a search for Visual PAscal both Delphi6 and Kylix came up in the search. I have used Pascal in the past many years ago and Kylix is definately Pascal.
    Kylix is the Linux port of Delphi. They are both Pascal.

Jim H

Kylix is the Linux port of Delphi. They are both Pascal.

Jim H
    Ah...... ty.... :-)
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

nfallon

Have you ever tried or even looked a Delphi/Kylix? This isn't a bias against M$, but a bias towards Borland. Borland was the maker of the first C/C++ compiler I ever bought/used. I have a definite bias towards their products, which in my definitely biased opinion are excellent. ;D

Jim H
    I use to program in dBase but got away from it after Borland started charging to redistribute the Borland engine. I ended up switching to FoxPro back then.

If you have to pay for every copy of the software that you created then it's not worth using the product. I don't know if Borland has changed their practice on charging to redistribute the database engine or not. It forced a lot of developers to leave dBase and move to other development environments.

Neil

I think that is total bs to do that...How the hell do they expect developers to go sure ok about something like that...I would never pay to distribute something I created....blech, ridiculous..

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.