Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just can't make up my mind, until now! LOL

Just can't make up my mind, until now! LOL

Ok, as you know I went to C++ again. I toyed with it and with Win32 API. I have tried a few others including Phoenix, which for any old VB programmers out, it is VERY nice! Cross platform OOP with a interface almost exactly that of VB! It was very nice and very tempting. Only thing was that I didn't want to really learn a new language. SOOOOOO I did a bit more research on Python(If you have been around here you know that I ADORE Python), and found that I can make standalone executables with Python! That cinched it, I did some searching for GUI interfaces, wxPython my friends is the best thing since sliced bread hands down!!!! So it is back to Python for my programming project. I was going to do VB, but that has dispersed into Python, the real language!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Stuka

Re: Just can't make up my mind, until now! LOL

Is that a Python binding for the wxWindows package? If so, that's even cooler, 'cuz it's cross platform too!

Yeah it is, it is awesome! I have so fallen in love with it. As soon as my Linux download gets finished, I am formatting this puppy and starting to develop in Linux. Until then I am playing with it here in Winblows!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

How did you plan to create a VB application for Linux or am I misreading the post? I have been contracting as a senior level VB developer for the last 7 years and have only seen one article that claims a VB app can run on Unix or Linux. That site has since disappeared.

The only way that a VB app can run on a Linux or Unix box would be through ActiveX controls via a web page if the browser supported ActiveX.

Neil

JimH

The only Linux VB project I'm aware of is Gnome-vb. It was started to provide a VB compatibility between Gnumeric and Excel.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gb/

Jim H

How did you plan to create a VB application for Linux or am I misreading the post? I have been contracting as a senior level VB developer for the last 7 years and have only seen one article that claims a VB app can run on Unix or Linux. That site has since disappeared.

The only way that a VB app can run on a Linux or Unix box would be through ActiveX controls via a web page if the browser supported ActiveX.

Neil
    Well I actually worded it poorly at the bottom when I said I was going to do VB I meant I was going to do Pheonix which is just like VB but cross platform, sorry bout the confusion there...let me get you the link...

*looks through his little box of tools........

http://www.janus-software.com/

There ya go...maybe we'll see NFallon putting out some new software for Linux soon eh?

Aragorn

nfallon

Hi Aragon,

I already tried it out. It's pretty good but not quite what your used to when working with VB. I did find some information on compiling VB with native pcode. It is suppose to make a VB app run on any platform if it is done correctly. I have just emailed the person that wrote the article to see if they could shed some light on the subject. I'll post his response as soon as I hear from him.

Neil

Look forward to it! I would like to see VB be able to port over to Linux. It does have its advantages, you I am sure see alot more than I do.

Aragorn

JimH

I would like to see VB be able to port over to Linux.
    Why? There are other options then using a M$ product. Kylix for one.

http://www.borland.com/kylix/

It does have its advantages, you I am sure see alot more than I do.
    What advantages? The porting of VB viruses to LInux?

Jim H

nfallon

Why? There are other options then using a M$ product. Kylix for one.

http://www.borland.com/kylix/

What advantages? The porting of VB viruses to LInux?

Jim H

If VB applications can be ported to Linux there would be an incredible amount of developers that would be creating applications for Linux.

I've tried Kylix. Kylix is advertised as the alternative for VB developers. Kylix is Visual Pascal. I just finished re-learning C. There is no way that I would ever go back to Pascal. I would use C instead if that where the only option. The reason that developers like VB is that it is very easy to create applications with VB. It is less cumbersome than most other languages. Just because MS developed VB doesn't make the language bad. The language itself is well documented and developed. It's fine to hate a particular company for their way of doing business but to condem every product that they make is crazy.

A virus or Trojan Horse can be created in any language. Most of the first viruses were created against the Mac which was programmed in Pascal or C at that time. The first virus has shown up for the Palm OS. It was created in C. Viruses are always going to be around no matter what language is used. By the way. The majority of viruses that are created today are done in VB Script not VB. VB Script is a subset of the Visual Basic language. Those same scripts could just as easily been developed in Java Script. I'm sure in the future you will see a lot of Java based viruses

Neil