Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Tux Racer going closed source?

Thread: Tux Racer going closed source?

Hybrid View

JimH

Tux Racer going closed source?

Hi,

According to this thread http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...2-011-20-NW-GM on Linux Today, the next Tux Racer release will be a closed source, commerical product. But it does look like a GPL version will continune as Open Racer.

Regards,
    Jim H

Re: Tux Racer going closed source?

Hmm...I have mixed feelings about this one. I understand that you want to make money and such....but why couldn't you do that without licensing the code, but selling it still open source. I hate that some software for Linux is going in the direction of close source...but I think any company, even sunspire, will feel the hurt if they do it already. The Linux community is not going to accept closed source as of yet, atleast not for games.....someone else will develop a tux racer clone and put it out for free...hence open racer....it will happen and that is the harsh brutality of going closed source in an open source community.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

I'm sure Tux will survive, but I wonder if they will let an "Open Racer" continue development using the codebase that is out there now. As a company the must make a profit and I think as long as they don't say "No, you can't continue to develop an Open Racer using the old codebase", I don't think there will be any backlash from the Linux community.

I don't know...I might have to disagree with you on this one...I just don't see the hard fought open source community accepting for long anyways a closed source game into their archives. Look at Caldera, they are charging a per seat license now and their stocks dropped dramatically...and Stallman himself called for a Ban on all non-free software. I guess time will tell...but I don't see Tux Racer staying closed source for a long period of time...or if they do stay, don't see them making many updates to it for lack of income...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

I agree with you that there will probably be some backlash from the open source community. There are alot of Linux Quake players out there and the source is closed. I really don't have any problems with closed source, commerical games for Linux. It takes alot of money to develop games and for the Linux gaming too continue to improve I think it will be a necessity.

With that, I completely agree with you! ;D

Linux Quake has made it as far as it has because it started out closed source.......there is a difference....I also see the necessity in charging as well...they could charge for tux racer and keep the source open...that is within the GPL...And they can license the code so users can't take it and run with a new tux racer that is free.....I just don't agree with going closed source after gaining popularity through the open source channel...I just think it is kinda backstabbing the open source community.

Aragorn

JimH

I just don't agree with going closed source after gaining popularity through the open source channel...I just think it is kinda backstabbing the open source community.
    Aragorn
    I agree with you there completely. ;D

Mojo

Pfffft, how long before there are linux warez out...

I DO NOT support this closed source crap - Linux was made to be free - and FREE it should stay - including all the software...

I suppose they jsut dont want millions of crap clones floatign about made from the same source code - damn i dont know...

I don't believe Linux was meant to be free exactly. It was meant to be an open source project. The GPL doesn't maintain that you can't charge, that has been confused many a time over. As long as you distribute the code or make it readily available upon request you can charge a Million bucks for an email program. It is ur choice. I don't blame any company for wanting to make a profit through the Linux route, in fact I encourage it as we will get a lot more quality software/hardware. We are a capitalist society, we run on money, doing stuff for free is grand and wonderful, but it won't get Linux as the main os, we will have to have for profit companies developing software for Linux before it is a primary os.

Aragorn