Thread: Star Office and MS Office

jman_77

Star Office and MS Office

So, I installed Star Office the other day, and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm writing up something on it here, and I'm wondering how it's gone for everyone else.

One thing I'm particularly interested in is everyone's mileage is as far as compatibility with MS office 2000. I use it on my Win98 partition, and Star Office seemed to be able to read most of the documents, including tables and embedded images, good stuff like that. Anyone else have an opinion on the program?

Sekihmet

Re: Star Office and MS Office

Since my linux box is currently under repair, I haven't gotten a chance to get StarOffice and try it out yet. I've been meaning to for a long time now, but something always seems to come up. I'll let you know what I think when I get my box up. (The fan in the power supply stopped working, and the smell of burnt wires filled the room.)

x0xCRIZx0x

Star Office: Pretty nifty

Hi jman- I installed Star Office 5.2 after fidling around with Koffice. Although the KDE team had done a great job with KOffice, I felt that Star Office was more up to par if we're comparing to MS Office. I did, however, come with very few fonts and I'm working on getting true type fonts to work.

Likes: If you have experience in MS Office, getting used to Star Office will be an easy transition. Toolbars on the side (especially for the spreadsheet program) are really useful. I have to say that Star Office is more intuitive than MS Office Suite. Also, it's FREE!

Dislikes: At first run, my CPU usage was so high I had to say "down boy!" hehe..I guess this is related to when Star Office is loading up. After the Star Office desktop is loaded, seems like smooth sailing from there. Didn't really like the fonts that came with Star Office. Like it or not, MS true type fonts are nicer to look at (and support for them would be nice also :-/ )

Right now, I use Star Office because I still get attachments from coworkers and friends that has .doc and .txt extensions (yuck). But I've been hearing good things about Koffice 1.1 , and I look forward to trying that out.

-Criz

JimH

You can improve the onscreen display of StarOffice fonts by using the "font substitution" option. Look for it in your options dialog. You can search for it in the StarOffice help.

x0xCRIZx0x

Jim-Thanks for the tip. Actually found some types that weren't that bad looking. Plus I finally installed my nvidia drivers, and anti-aliasing and all my 3D apps are working now. woo hoo! it's so pretty...

Galik

Re:Star Office and MS Office

You may like to look at Open Office. It's the *free* version of Star Office and the source code base for the up and coming Star Office 6.0. I find it *much* nicer indeed. Also you can import your Windows fonts!!

http://www.openoffice.org/

Galik

Ooops! Just noticed how old this thread is :-\
    Now where did I put that pencil.....

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Galik
    Ooops! Just noticed how old this thread is :-\
    Now where did I put that pencil.....
    Old maybe, but still a good thread.

Jim H

A bit of an update to the last year posts....:

Star Ofice 6 is only going to be free for solaris, the Sun OS
    Doze and 'nix will have to pay - Though there is still the openoffice.org option.
    Also, StarOffice will be (and the betas already are) alot quicker than the 5.x series

Koffice 1.1 is great for me. Its quick, efficient, small and does the job.
    It's not bloated and has basic .doc importing, which is all i need.
    Then again, Abiword is also great if you're a GTK+ person.

My $0.02 worth...

Alastair

(damn i hate these school keyboards)
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

heh, i have it downloaded, just haven't gotten my shit together yet, jsut too much to do :-\ :