Thread: Acess db

Xsecrets

Acess db

Yeah just wondering how do I view my access database in linux? :P

jman_77

Re: Acess db

I believe you can install ODBC drivers to open and work with the database, but I don't think you'll get a nice GUI in linux. You may want to try PostgreSQL to replace Access in Linux. It makes more efficent databases anyhow

nfallon

I believe you can install ODBC drivers to open and work with the database, but I don't think you'll get a nice GUI in linux. You may want to try PostgreSQL to replace Access in Linux. It makes more efficent databases anyhow
    Is there a conversion utility out there to convert Access or SQL Server databases to PostgresSQL or mySQL database? If not is there a need for one?

Neil

I believe you can convert SQL databases over to PosgresSQL or MySQL without to much of a hitch...but Access is another story, you might have to talk to big ole billy boy for that...but I think it would be an awesome application if we had it!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Is there a conversion utility out there to convert Access or SQL Server databases to PostgresSQL or mySQL database? If not is there a need for one?

Neil
    Scroll down the page for information on converting databases to PostgresSQL.
    http://techdocs.postgresql.org

Don't know about MySQL. I imagine there is a way. Their website would probably be a good place to start.
    http://www.mysql.com/

Jim H

nfallon

The sources recommended and the other information that I have found on the net are for using a named database on both sides. Last year I created and application that can convert Access and SQL Server 7.0 and up databases to Palm PDB format and vice versa. The database and tables could be selected by the user from list boxes. They did not need the database names and tables in advance.

I think if something similar to this was available for converting the Access and SQL Server databases to PostgresSQL and mySQL there would be a lot more Windows defectors. Their data would be intact and they could experiment on the Linux platform with their data until they were comfortable with Linux.

Neil

JimH

I think if something similar to this was available for converting the Access and SQL Server databases to PostgresSQL and mySQL there would be a lot more Windows defectors. Their data would be intact and they could experiment on the Linux platform with their data until they were comfortable with Linux.
    I'm going to agree with you completely after looking at some of these docs after posting the links. I had seen the references before on converting the db's, but I had never really read through them. After reading them, I would definitely say a better method is needed, and I imagine probably wanted.

Jim H

The sources recommended and the other information that I have found on the net are for using a named database on both sides. Last year I created and application that can convert Access and SQL Server 7.0 and up databases to Palm PDB format and vice versa. The database and tables could be selected by the user from list boxes. They did not need the database names and tables in advance.

Neil
    Wish my knowledge of databases was stronger than nill, I'd like to get in on a project like that.. :-[

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.