Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few poitners for newbies

JimH

Re:A few poitners for newbies

I don't think Aragorn ever had the chance to get more then a few "test" t-shirts made. I don't think he was happy with the quality of those. He probably hasn't been able to try again since he moved. Some people are just slooooooooow. :P : :-X

Jim H

Spot

<insert winjoke here>
    :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Oscar

FOOT-AND-MOUTH BELIEVED TO BE FIRST VIRUS UNABLE TO SPREAD THROUGH MICROSOFT OUTLOOK

shaddup oscar...
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Yup, after the first wash or two, tux and the logo were no more and I would have just been sending white t-shirts out. I'll look into finding something better here pretty soon, things are starting to settle down a bit, I am trying to spend a bit more time around here

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

good as, be nice to see you around again
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    good as, be nice to see you around again
    Yeah, maybe we can get a t-shirt now.

Oscar

howie6267

Good luck with gnucash. No luck here so far.

Cooter

I think the "install everything" is a pitfall that all newbies go through. I use Mandrake 8.1 (Dependency hell) and the "Not enough disc space" error on an install actually refers to the size of your "/" partition. I got that message on a 30 gig harddrive but when I upped the size to around 400 meg on the root everything went fine.
    One of the first gripes from a newbie is "Why is it so slow/". Answer: Windows would be slow too if you could load Win98,WinME and WinXP all at once.
    I'm currently going the other way. Initially installing nothing but the absolute neccessities. I use Blackbox for a WM and try to use DE independent apps (ie KDE or Gnome) and it's "smokin" fast.
    Another pitfall newbies fall into is taking Linux "zealots" seriously. I just received an e-mail from a friend I've been helping over the internet. He's going "back" to Windows. This is the age of "giga-harddrives". It doesn't have to be an either/or choice. If your having a hard time with Linux,leave it alone for a while. Go fishin',drink a brew or two,use Windows. The next time you get a little free time and the urge,Load it up. I guarantee that the second time won't be anything like the first and it will gradually get better from there. (This is my "Blind hog finds acorn" philosophy).
    "Relax" that's the best advice a newbie will ever get. I've two broken keyboards and a cat that runs everytime I sit down at my computer to prove it.

Micahizme

http://www.cafepress.com go there Linux people and make your t-shirts and sell em.