Thread: Mozilla or ???

Mozilla or ???

Well I am in a dilema right now. After getting all of Debian working, I now have choices on what I can do, not what I have to do! So I have downloaded Mozilla, but WOW is it ever slow! I guess I could download Netscape, but I'd like to try one of these independent browsers. I'd like to hear from you guys what you like and dislike about your browser, and what you suggest I use!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

robba

Re: Mozilla or ???

Well, from what I have seen, Galeon is a VERY nice browser. It's fully functional, and very light-weight; the speed is incredible. *grin*

I hope this helps

-robba

malexg

If you can get a hold of a free-ware version of Netscape, that'd be nice. Theres also Opera, which is nice too. goto www.opera.com, I don't know if they have any .deb files though...

Yeah I ended up with netscape....just found out it wasn't my browser that was going slow though. For some strange reason my modem times out all the time in Linux....just sits there and then does a short second or two of work and sits there again for atleast 30 seconds. PPP must be messed up or something, or the modem is justs screwy....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

seamonkey

i shall mock you with my cable modem soon...fear, lowly 56k users!

heheh

Yeah I ended up with netscape....just found out it wasn't my browser that was going slow though. For some strange reason my modem times out all the time in Linux....just sits there and then does a short second or two of work and sits there again for atleast 30 seconds. PPP must be messed up or something, or the modem is justs screwy....

Aragorn

malexg

Just wondering: Who's your cable-modem ISP? What speeds is it running at? Do you see consistant bandwidth at various times during the day? Thanks.

i shall mock you with my cable modem soon...fear, lowly 56k users!

heheh

When I did have my cable modem AT&T was my provider, ick! Avoid them at all costs....the bandwidth stayed fairly constant except for peak times where it would go down to 15k to 20k a second(Only if I could have that now.... :'( ) But with AT&T, they are always disconnecting you and crap...and if you have a cable modem and get disconnected, you have to do a hard reboot...augh, what a pain in the arse!

Aragorn

malexg

May I be so humble as to suggest DSL. I've been using 256Kbps DSL for over two years now with Qwest. I like it. I have never experienced any down-time, although sometimes my machine is unresponsive to external telnets, which may be software, maybe hardware, or maybe Qwest DSL. I pay 29.95/month for the DSL service. I pay 19.95 for the ISP's static IP they gave me, and I use their DNS and am one their subnet. So I pay $50/month, but I'm getting 24/7/365 connectivity at 256K. I've been happy with it. At this speed you can stream video and audio at a decent rate and download huge files with a reasonable wait time.

I guess I'm getting a better dealyon a $/Kbps. AKAIK, AOL provides 56K at 19.95/month, which ends of being $0.35625/Kpbs. I'm paying $50 for 256Kbps, which pans out to $0.1953125/Kbps. So I think I'm getting the better deal. Add onto that the 24/7/365 thing, and not having to deal with AOL spam, and the loading of the overhead on your machine due to the AOL interface, and I see something better. You might want to check on prices in your locale regarding DSL. And get an external DSL modem, their easier to install. I don't know of any Linux support for internal DSL modems.

Just a thought. :

When I did have my cable modem AT&T was my provider, ick! Avoid them at all costs....the bandwidth stayed fairly constant except for peak times where it would go down to 15k to 20k a second(Only if I could have that now.... :'( ) But with AT&T, they are always disconnecting you and crap...and if you have a cable modem and get disconnected, you have to do a hard reboot...augh, what a pain in the arse!

Aragorn

DSL is what I will definitely be going to, but right now funds are pretty tight, with the bills I have and paying for this site....augh....DSL isn't within my means now.....hopefully soon though....Thanks for the info though!

Aragorn

seamonkey

from what i hear (i havent lived there yet, its at my fraternity house that im moving into)
    speeds do vary...tend to be very good though...up to 1.5mb...almost always at least 50Kb+ on downloads...but the variation is there

its through Charter Communications, a rather ghetto company.

Just wondering: Who's your cable-modem ISP? What speeds is it running at? Do you see consistant bandwidth at various times during the day? Thanks.