Here's the blow by blow description!
1. I downloaded the packages ttfutils and ttf2pt1. The ttf2pt1 is a program which converts True Type to Type 1. Unfortunately it will only do one at a time, but there is a think in the ttfutils package which uses ttf2pt1 but allows you to do a batch of files at once. If you use "make install" it will make these programs available in any dorectory.
2. I copied all my TT fonts from the Windows partition to a directory on my Linux partition. I changed to the directory with the fonts in them and then used the ttfutils program ttf2type1 (ttf2type1 *.ttf). This will quickly produece the files *.pbf and *.afm.
3. I copied the Type 1 font files to Office51/fonts/Type1 which is where Star Office keeps its type 1 fonts.
4. I then used SPAdmin which is the program SO uses to set up the fonts. Open the program (in Office51/bin) or use "Setup Printer" on the desk top.
5. Click "Add fonts" then "Initialize fon paths". Clilck on the directory path with the Type 1 fonts.then click OK. If oyu don't want to add them all, Remove the ones you don't want. Then cliick close a few tiomes to close the dialog boxes, and you're done.
6. The only thing left to do is make sure that the fonts are available to X. I use xfs so this meant editing the file /etc/X11/fs/config and ensuring that Office51/fonts/truetype was listed there.
7. Restart both xfs and Star Office and the fonts should be there in the list of fonts used by Star Office. They should appear normally on the screen.
It looks complicated but it's not too hard. I think earlier I may have clicked buttons in SPAdmin that I shouldn't have, and that might have casued osme of the problems. SPAdmin actually edits the fonts.dir file as part of its process so it can be disastrous to try some editing of fonts without knowing what you are doing!