Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Office

Hybrid View

Star Office

I know this is a stupid question.... and I know the answer is out there on the web, but I've looked and haven't found the answer yet.

How do you get Windows fonts to work in Star Office 5.1?

I've run spadmin and I've tried adding a pointer to windows/fonts in the X config. file. Everything else in Linux is happy to see my fonts except the software that it's most critical for!!

If anyone has the answer I'll be forever grateful 8)

Re: Star Office

As far as I know you have to install the true type fonts server into Linux..I'll look into it and see how to do it for ya!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

I've already got the TTF server installed... xfs.

True Type fonts are working with everything else... it's just something peculiar to StarOffice.

actually xfs is just the regular font server....it is something like xttf that you need to install.....as well you either need to copy the fonts into star offices font directory, or you need to set up a link.....I recommend copying though..

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

depends on what distro you're using. I know in mandrake there's just a button you click to import windows ttf fonts. : I'll have to look into that as well.

I'm using Red Hat 7.1, which includes, I believe, True Type font server under xfs.

I found a complex procedure at www.staroffice.fsnet.co.uk/installingFonts.html

which indicates that Star Office doesn't actualy use TT fonts and you have to convert them to Type 1. You can do this by downloading another utility called ttf2pt1 or another called ttf2type1. The latter will do a batch at once.

I haven't actually got this going yet so I can't tell you if it works.

It would be nice if StarOffice 6 uses TT fonts. It's a crazy situation that almost makes one believe that Linux is designed to be extra difficult and user-unfriendly

IMHO, I feel that all this stuff like TT fonts have been hard and makes it hard for us to set up, because the bulk of the work is done on the back end of Linux to make it a hard working system that is very stable. Not near the amount of work on the front end. Now if you get this program to working, and you find an easier way to do it, or a simplified way to explain it, try submitting an OMP!

Aragorn

JimH

"I'm using Red Hat 7.1, which includes, I believe, True Type font server under xfs."

Correct.

It would be nice if StarOffice 6 uses TT fonts. It's a crazy situation that almost makes one believe that Linux is designed to be extra difficult and user-unfriendly

This is is StarOffice problem not a Linux problem. You might try asking the question about the TT fonts for StarOffice 6 on one of the forums here http://supportforum.sun.com/staroffice/. I saw a note on Sun's site that beta 6 binaries are close to being released, dated July 25.

www.staroffice.fsnet.co.uk/installingFonts.html I get "not found", when I try to look at this site. I've never used StarOffice and after a couple of seaches, the documentation available seems pretty sparse.

When you installed RH 7.1, did you install KDE? If you did you might consider using Koffice for now until you get more familiar with Linux. I'll see if I can get a copy of StarOffice from someone, the 97mb download of 5.2 over my dial-up connection when version 6 beta is about to come out doesn't sound to fun. I'm just going to have to upgrade my connection to DSL ;D

I'm back!
    After a little while of toying with the idea of going back to Windows and forgetting the whole Linux idea, I came back to my senses!

I tried Abi-Word 0.7 which was on my RH CD, but it's fairly basic. I tied downloading 0.9 but when I went to install it I got conflicing error messages. Such as "needs gal 0.4 or higher" followed by "needs gal 0.4 only". Downloaded gal 0.4 only to be told I already had it installed!

Back to Star Office. I've downloaded some Type 1 Fonts and got them going OK, so emboldened by success I downloaded some utilities to convert TT fonts to Type 1.That worked OK and I followed the procedure to install them into SO.

Along the way, SO chucked a wobbly and needed to be reinstalled a couple of times.

The end result is this.... the fonts don't show up on the screen properly (thet all get converted to some other mundane font), but they print out perfectly... including the ones I had working OK before I tried to install my converted TT fonts.

I know there must be a problem in my X setup, but I can't find it! All the new fonts are in the same directory as the SO Type 1 fonts and the xfs config file has this in its path (near the top).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey, I fixed it! Somehow the Star Office "Printer Setup" thing swallowed some of the fonts in my fonts.dir file. I used SPadmin to re-edit the fonts.dir and it works almost perfectly. Some of the really fancy fonts don't show up properly but hey you can't have everything!

8)

Have a great day!