Hello, I could really use some help with this install file. the goal is to setup kdevelop1.2, right now i am trying to install qt1.45 so I can link kdevelop to the libraries and since i'm a new linux user i get lost easily.

according to the install file it says:

2. Set some environment variables in the file .profile (or .login, depending on your shell) in your home directory. (Create the file if it is not there already.)

QTDIR - wherever youinstalled Qt
PATH - to locate the moc program
MANPATH - to access the Qt man pages
LD_LIBRARY_PATH - for the shared Qt library

This is done like this:
In .profile (in case your shell if bash, ksh, zsh or sh):
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
if [ $MANPATH ]
then
MANPATH=$QTDIR/man:$MANPATH
else
MANPATH=$QTDIR/man
fi
I'm not sure where EXactly i am suppose to create or find the ".profile" file . I did try and create one in the directory of / and a few others that i thought might be the home directory( i'd be more specific but i would have to reboot back into linux to find out, thanks to those stupid winmodems). I did find a file called .bash_profile, I tried to add the text above to the file but still couldnt get it to work.

I've also tried to enter the text in the command line but after typing FI, it says "cannot find directory /usr/local/qt/man. but the directory does exist

well i need to reboot into linux so to make sure i am getting my stories straight . i will be posting back so if you need any more info before giving advice please post it. I want to keep this short anyway and avoid asking to many questions at once. Thanks for your time