Thread: Wine

Wine

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to get wine going on some of my Windows programs. I would really like to try to get right away from the clutches of Microsoft, but that doesn't look like happening really soon :P

Some software goes really well under wine, but some programs just get to the introductory screen and then hang. I have to go to a console and kill every instance of wine I can find, and then for some reason it messes up my network configuration-- that just means opening the Network window, then deactivating and reactivating my network connection.

A classic case is Qiucken which I think dies when it tries to load the last data file that it accessed. When I made out I was a new user and had to set up new files it was happy, until I actually tried to load my real data.

A similar problem happens with Nelson's electronic Bible Reference Ligrary ("Logos"). It's OK until you actually try to access data. Unlike Quicken, it accesses its info. from CD. I tried re-installing it under wine instead of using the install I had done under windoze. The only difference is that it now plays the opening sound effects before dying.

Has anyone had similar experiences with wine (or any experience at all?). 8)

jman_77

Re: Wine

Hi Keith....

Sounds like you're having the typical WINE headaches. Problem is, wine is still experimental, whatnot, so alot of programs have problems.

The only two things you can really try are;
    1) Make sure you have the latest build from http://www.winehq.com (builds are released about once a month).

2) Edit the config file ~/.wine/config and make sure the settings are correct for your system.

Hope that helps for you. Let me know if you can get anything working at all with wine.

Thanks Jim :.)

Yes I've got the most recent stable build of wine and I've been trying to tweak the config file as well as trying different command line parameters.

I guess I'll just have to keep on fiddling.... and using the dreaded Windows

Keith

Success!!

The problem comes back to my dual boot system again! Must go and take the big step and delete Windoze for ever!! I'm almost there.

I set up wine to run a "fake windows" directory on my linux partition and then re-installed quicken from the CD (through wine).

After a few false starts it actually works, reading and writing the data files located on my windows partition. So everything is fine and dandy!

There is one funny glitch though... wine does osmething funny to my network settings so that I have to go to the network configurator and deactivate then reactivate it. Why? I don't know!

BTW Codeweavers has a nifty program that gives you a GUI to edit the wine-config file. It a beauty, and make sit so much easier. It's called winesetuptk.

Keith