Thread: Woops, wasn't supposed to do that.

Woops, wasn't supposed to do that.

Blasted RPM!!!(hehe, directed toward JimH). I am having to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.2-14 and I was fine until I made the mistake of doing

rpm -Uv kernel*

it was supposed to be

rpm -iv kernel*

well regardless to say, I CAN'T get into Linux. I use the boot disk and it ask me to enter a ram disk??? I tried a blank and that didn't do anything and I tried it with the boot disk still in and that seemd to work until it said "Kernel Panic: Can't send init. No init found"

AUGH! Now I need a program that can read ext file systems in windows so I can save the tons of downloads I've done so I can start over. Unless one of you guys have a better idea.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Spot

Re: Woops, wasn't supposed to do that.

try this, it might be of some help!

http://www.toms.net/rb/

Oooh I'll try that and I also just remembered I have a copy of demo linux that should get me into the system as well! Dude, thanks! heheh

BTW Here is a link for everyone to a proggy that reads ext2 file systems from windows, most of you prolly already have something of the sort, but just in case!

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Blasted RPM!!!(hehe, directed toward JimH). I am having to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.2-14 and I was fine until I made the mistake of doing

rpm -Uv kernel*

it was supposed to be

rpm -iv kernel*
    Oops, I think someone goofed. Put your install cd in the drive and boot: linux rescue

Been FOREVER since I had 6.0 installed, but I believe the cd could be used as a rescue disk. Don't remember for sure.

Jim H

Actually no, the CD doesn't allow for Rescue, I had to save the stuff I downloaded and reinstall!

Now I am having problems doing a blasted kernel compile, I have tried 5 times! I know all of my modules are correct and I am doing the whole

mr proper
    make menuconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    lilo

Well I reboot, loads the kernel gets to the point where it says it is finding module dependencies and it just craps out! I am getting a warning randomly that there is a clock skew and that modversions.h is modified in the future! Augh...this is getting quite annoying.... > > > >

Aragorn

JimH

Well I reboot, loads the kernel gets to the point where it says it is finding module dependencies and it just craps out! I am getting a warning randomly that there is a clock skew and that modversions.h is modified in the future! Augh...this is getting quite annoying.... > > > >

Aragorn
    Check your clock and make sure it is set right? Also check the bios clock. What kernel version are you trying to compile? 6.0 is pretty old, the modutils version may be too old for the kernel you are trying to use.

Jim H

It ended up being a bug in the 2.2 kernel release that Redhat actually created. I found this through google. Here is the fix for anyone that has this problem.

cd /
    touch /tmp/now
    find / -newer /tmp/now | xargs touch

believe it or not though this isn't what was affecting the kernel not booting all the way, it was just a warning anyways. For some reason make modules_install created the directory 2.2.14-5.0 where it should have been 2.2.14-5 so to fix that(which I found my pure coincidence) you just have to do

mv /lib/modules/2.2.15-5.0 /lib/modules/2.2.15-5

Then it boots fine. Weird....now my task is GlibC that doesn't seem to be coming as easy!

Aragorn