Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

VNC software

Thread: VNC software

MWHoudini

VNC software

I'm trying to remote control my RedHat7.1 box running KDE from another machine. Unfortunately, VNC runs a desktop other than KDE by default. So I edit the startx script that VNC uses... (I just put "startkde" in the script.) and KDE starts to run but crashes. :'( Any ideas on how I can get KDE to run on the VNC Xserver? Any web pages where I can learn more about XServers and desktops? Thanks!

Re: VNC software

Give us a copy of the error it gives you and we can better server you. It is hard to say what the problem could be as the XServer is so reliant on so many different things. With the error we can narrow it down signficantly.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

IUnfortunately, VNC runs a desktop other than KDE by default.
    This has been changed in newer versions of VNC from Redhat.

So I edit the startx script that VNC uses... (I just put "startkde" in the script.) and KDE starts to run but crashes. :'( Any ideas on how I can get KDE to run on the VNC Xserver?
    There were several bugs with KDE and VNC in RH 7.1. Try running the vncserver with the '-cc 3' option or '-depth 16' option for a workaround. Use 'startkde &' instead of 'startkde'

vncserver -cc 3

or

vncserver -depth 16

The rpms from RH 7.2 should work on 7.1, you might try those also, they fix several bugs from 7.1. I never played with VNC much on 7.1 might be other issues I don't know about. I haven't tried VNC at all on 7.2 yet.

Any web pages where I can learn more about XServers and desktops?
    Not sure what info you are looking for here.

http://www.xfree86.org
    http://www.linuxdoc.org
    http://www.kde.org
    http://www.gnome.org

Jim H

MWHoudini

Thanks for the excelent idea to get the latest RPM of VNC from RedHat! I'm trying to do that right now. (Previously I had simply downloaded the bins from VNC.)
    I'll let you know if that fixes it... after I figure out what I'm doing wrong installing this source RPM of VNC. (It's amazing all the things you learn as you try new things.) Whenever I run "rpm -bb vnc*" from the redhat/SPEC dir it just gives me Usage of RPM.
    Both the -cc 3 and - depth 16 fixed it, but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong installing this source rpm.
    Thanks for your help!

JimH

There are a couple of ways to build new rpms from the src.rpms.

rpm --rebuild foo.src.rpm

or install the src.rpm first

rpm -ivh foo.src.rpm
    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    rpm -bb foo.spec

The new rpms will be placed in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/

Jim H