Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Pesky libsigc++

Thread: Pesky libsigc++

Mojo

Pesky libsigc++

Installing libsigc++ 1.0.4 (nrrghhh)

Its a tarball, i untar it, i read the INSTALL notes, ./configure, make, make install okey dokey normal stuff ...
    now i hear i need to run ldconfig afterwards to get my library installed - okey dokes ran it, saw nothing, aparantly its fine, then i did ldconfig -p and found that its not in the list.

Hmm.

Now it appears 'libsigc.la' is actually in /lib - okay thats normal but why does it not show up on ldconfig -p? And why does GnoRPM still think that libsigc dependency still exists - am I missing a vital step?

If so please let me know...

Re: Pesky libsigc++

Oooh ooh, I know this one, JimH taught me this...

Those directories are checked by default, so there is no reason to list them in the ld.so.conf. running ldconfig was just a formality for this program it seems, I guess in case you had a strange setup or install.

So everything works though right?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Mojo

Well - no it doesnt - looking back in anguish i see that once again i didnt post what i meant in my head...

I compiled it, installed it. Yet its not working - in other words RPM gives dependency problems for libsigc++, but i installed it! ngggh!

I am thinking i missed something like in windows (please forgive me) - you drop a dll in C:\windows\system - yet it isnt accessible until you run "regsvr32 C:\windows\system\mylibrary.dll" (in some cases) - i was told thats what ldconfig does (although i got no output when i ran it...) is it registers the library with the system (like the above windows example) - but it doesn't work - how should i go about installign a library from a tarball....?

All comments/suggestions/flames greatly anticipated

Copy and paste your ld.so.conf file in here, so we can see what we are dealing with!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Mojo

/usr/lib
    /usr/kerberos/lib
    /usr/X11R6/lib
    /usr/lib/sane
    /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/lib

hmm okay yes libsigc.la is in /lib

*sigh*

Thats what i meant before do i need to register the library - or will it read from /lib (its not)

bahh

ok, well if it is /lib then add that to the ld.so.conf file and run ldconfig again. If it is in /bin/lib then <shrug>

Aragorn

Mojo

*sigh*

Close, but no cigar.

???

JimH

/usr/lib
    /usr/kerberos/lib
    /usr/X11R6/lib
    /usr/lib/sane
    /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/lib
    If you installed libsigc++ from the tarball and didn't use ./configure --prefix=/usr more then likely it was installed in /usr/local/lib. Add /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf and re-run /sbin/ldconfig. That should cure your problem.

Why didn't you just install using the rpm's? It would have prevented your problems.

Jim H

Mojo

RPMS - first thing i did - i dont think there were any - (i could be wrong) but i checked a few places (including the .sourceforge.net home)

anyways - HAPPY CHRISTMAS PPL