Thread: App crash

Bogler

App crash

What is the best way to cope when an app crashes when using X. I know to ps -ef | grep blah and the processes can be killed off but i always nervous of doing this? Is there a safe way to kill of running processes?

Also when i print using the lpd daemon my printer stalls all the time.. how do i restart it, it is a Lexmark Z32 (colour jetprinter) i have recently downloaded cups and reckon on installin it soon.

Thanks

Bog..

JimH

Re: App crash

I don't know what you mean by safe, but killing a crashed app will not hurt anything. Are you having that many problems with apps crashing? Or is this just one app in particular?

Read the manpage for lpc.

lpc kill all

or

lpc kill printername

will kill lpd then restart it. It won't kill the jobs in the print quere. Might also want to look at: redo

Are you using the driver that came with your distribution or using one from Lexmark?

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

If you are actually running an app and you see the window
    freeze up then you can just hit CTRL ALT ESC and a little
    skull and cross bones should come up. You can click on the
    frozen window or whatever it is.. and it will kill the app.
    This is just useful if you don't want to open up a shell or
    anything.

JimH

Must be a Slackware thing, no such feature on Red Hat.

Jim H

Spot

Must be a Slackware thing, no such feature on Red Hat.
    I believe it is aka XKill, just with keystrokes bound to it.

JimH

Yep, you're probably right. I never use xkill, it didn't occur to me that is what it was.

Jim H

Bogler

What i meant in my original post was that Netscape froze and i couldn't do anything with the Window, i did a ps -ef | grep Netscape and it listed the processes.

It was then that i worried that killing the wrong Netscape process sould cause me some problems when trying to start the app again.

Thanks for the info on the printer, what happens is that i send the lpd daemon a job via the lpr command, the printer starts to print but then, usually, stalls. I can see the printer stalled when i do an lpq.

The driver came with RH7.1 and i beleive t is the same as the driver downloadable from LexMark as i have tried that also. When i samba connect a Windows machine and print from that using the LexMark Windows driver i always get good quaity print and no stalling so it must be something to do with the Linux driver.

Thanks

Bog..

JimH

It will hurt nothing killing netscape. Netscape 4.7x is good for locking up at times. Especially on webpages with java. You would be better off installing the lastest version of Mozilla. It is a little bloated, but it more stable then Netscape.

I have a Lexmark Z51. Linux support for Lexmark inkjets isn't the best. Although 7.2 support has been better. I will print alot of stuff via a samba shared windoze box. I haven't had any problems with it stalling, that I can recall. Does this just happen printing from certain apps?

Jim H

Bogler

It usually stalls when i run lpr text.txt (if the document is reasonably big 5 - 10 pages)

Regards...

Bog

JimH

Probably just a driver problem. :'( You might try enabling debugging, but I doubt it will produce any useful information.

lpr -D1 filename

or if you really want ALOT use -D5
    Hard to believe how much it does just to print something. :P

Jim H