Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SB Live and Slackware8

Thread: SB Live and Slackware8

johnqpublic

SB Live and Slackware8

My first try with Slackware cuz I'm curious if it is as good as people say it is.Installed fine some stuff needs fine tuning cuz I am a picky fcker.To the prob,what's the best way to get my SB Live to work?Any Slack people out there?

jman_77

Re: SB Live and Slackware8

oh man... it's been a while since I did that, but you're looking at running a program called config, menuconfig, or xconfig depending on your preference (I recommend menuconfig).

I believe if you have the make tools installed you simply type 'make menuconfig' and watch the magic happen. Oh, and you'll need ro recompile the kernel after you've changed the settings (this is why I stopped using slack).

Ok, heres the skinny!

goto ftp://opensource.creative.com/pub/snapshots/
    download the emu10k1 that has the latest date on it, from what I could tell it was today the 4th.

goto your home directory and do
    mkdir sblive
    and move the file into the directory

you should be able to just type
    tar -xzvf emu10k1*
    and that should unzip it, but if not do it this way
    gunzip emu10k1*
    tar -xvf emu10k1*

then you need to change the directory to
    cd emu10k1

you need to then do
    rm *dep*
    make depend
    make clean
    make

now you need to logout and become root(be careful! )
    then change your directory to your emu10k1 directory
    cd /home/*username*/sblive/emu10k1

then type
    ls *.o

there should be a emu10k1.o file listed, if not you screwed up and have to redo the unzipping process...

now do
    make install

now for the more fun part....

cd /lib/modules
    ls

find the misc directory and change directory into it...

now copy the *.o file into the directory
    cp /home/*your username here*/sblive/emu10k1/emu10k1.o ./

now type
    depmod -a

now you need to do a search for your conf.modules file

it should be in your etc directory and that is where I'll assume that it is, but just change the directory accordingly

type
    echo alias sound emu10k1>>/etc/conf.modules

now type
    modprobe emu10k1

your sound might work now, but I wouldn't worry about trying just yet. go ahead and reboot then start her up and it should work...if not write back and we'll see if we can work things out from there.

Aragorn

find the latest version number and change directories into that
    now do an ls and you should see tons of devices listed
    My first try with Slackware cuz I'm curious if it is as good as people say it is.Installed fine some stuff needs fine tuning cuz I am a picky fcker.To the prob,what's the best way to get my SB Live to work?Any Slack people out there?
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Got in really late,sorry to take so long to reply I'll get back and let ya know if I get
    my sound card working. Thanks for the help!

johnqpublic

I finally got the freakin card to work.Had to xconfig and recompile to do it.I know the way you folks wanted me to do it was an easier way,but it did'nt work for me.Likely, it was something I did wrong.Slack ain't for fresh out of the box newbies.It is a cool distro though.Think I shall stick with SuSE and Libranet cuz I am familiar with them.Thanks for all the help everyone.

Well all that matters is you got it to work. I'll have to try slackware. How is suse? I haven't tried either distro actually!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Like SuSE Pro. very much.Just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2 (2.4.4 Kernel,KDE 2.1.2).Both of which are newbie friendly.Like Drake8 it takes almost all the guesswork out of install and configuring but can be bloatware like Drake also.Think installing the whole enchilada is 6GB.It works for me and is the distro I use most.

Well I am very close (I hope anyways) to getting Debian to working for me, so I am very stoaked about that! If I can win king of the hill with Debian I will probably stick with that for awhile....I'll have to try Suse though. I enjoy Drake8, but not only do I receive to much grief for using it, it takes to much work to make it a real power monger system. :-/

Aragorn