Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Intel MD563x on RH7.1 for MSN

Thread: Intel MD563x on RH7.1 for MSN

Hybrid View

plantiful

Intel MD563x on RH7.1 for MSN

I'm a newbie to Linux- so far so good.
    I am currently trying to get a PPP connection to MSN, but first I need to get the system to recognize the modem. It is an Intel HaM MD563x using the kernel 2.4 driver "408-2". During bootup, there is a line stating something regarding the obsolete /dev/cua, which is the older serial port device. I can dial out using Minicom, but the system does not otherwise recognise the modem (using the Dialup configuration utility in the GNOME desktop). Is Minicom using the cua device? If so, is there a way to assign a ttyS to a cua device?

Also, providing that I can get to MSN, what other parameters might be needed to run PPP? Through Minicom, I was able to get a login and password, but it returned 'Bad Password' when I tried to login. Could this be an authentication problem?

Any help will be appreciated!
    thanks, Plantiful

Re: Intel MD563x on RH7.1 for MSN

Your in luck, I have had this EXACT problem, I even have MSN!

First, CUA is being driven out of the kernel in subsititution for TtySx(x being your port 0 for com1, 1 for com2, etc...) You have to actually figure out what port your modem is on. So do it this way if you don't know already

setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
    do that through all the numbers 0 - 3 to test all ports...you'll see which one is the modem because it will have the baud and the 16550A junk...

then you need to do a dynamic link between your ttySx port and the /dev/modem device by

ln /dev/ttySx /dev/modem

x being which port you found your modem on.

you then have to configure your ppp dial up utility. you need to type in

pppconfig

if this doesn't work then you need to install this package off of the CD. MSN uses PAP(Password Authentication Protocol) to assume a connection. So you will set up the menu to do such...it will ask you for your username it will be

MSN/your name@msn.com
    then it'll ask for password

now you need to do a little more to get it configured.....goto your /etc directory. I am going to assume you have a text editor of choice by this time.... so this is what you'll do

in your /etc directory you'll edit a file called resolv.conf
    this file might not exist yet so you will have to create it with the editor....

inside the file will look like this

domain msn.com
    nameserver dns.entry.1.here
    nameserver dns.entry.2.here

then you'll save the file after entering in this info

then your going to edit the host.conf file this should look like this

order hosts,bind
    multi on

then save this file, this file should exist but might not create it if it doesn't.

now you should be able to dial up with gopp or pppgo, or whatever the command is for your distro....I have to type ppgo

Aragorn

If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.