Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Video Problems (Newbie) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video Problems (Newbie)

jman_77

Re: Video Problems (Newbie)

mmmm, I *think* that an iso-9660 standard cd should be readable by linux. (that's geek-speak for "sure, give it a shot") Have at it and let us know how it goes.

Yes, you can do that...I have done that millions of times!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

waltnjulie

Okay, I got XF86 4.10 installed, I hope. I ran xf86config, which gave me a warning that the mediaGX is basically unsupported. I used 8bpp, since that's what some of the info on the Xfree site said the driver was limited to. Apparently it doesn't matter, since my computer is frozen. The last thing on my screen says "Starting X font server: xft/usr/bin/X11/xfs notice: listening on port 7100"

Now what? :-/

Julie

Dont' worry, all is not lost! ;D

At the lilo prompt you need to type

Linux 1

Then you'll be thrown into linux maitanence mode

You then need to type

apt-get remove xfs

this will remove the x font server...you don't want that...

now you need to reboot without the boot disk and your set!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

waltnjulie

Okay, that helped a little. Now it boots into a plain black screen. Nothing works. :-/

After linux 1 or after you uninstalled xfs?

Aragorn

waltnjulie

After I uninstalled xfs.

I'm sure glad my business doesn't need this computer to be up and running anytime soon...

Julie

Ok, once again, at the Lilo prompt type

Linux 1

Then, when you can actually see everything again, goto your /etc/X11 directory and make sure there is no XF86Config file. If there is, delete it and reboot...that should get you back to square 1 and we'll go from there!

Aragorn

waltnjulie

So far, so good. If I were willing to settle for text, this would be a good place to stop.

For some strange reason, my husband thinks I ought to be doing something besides playing with my computers.

Next step?

Julie

Phew, OK....here goes.....husbands don't know anything...trust me, my fiancee is telling me that all the time....we are used to being completely knowledgeless!

Ok...next step would be.....now that you can boot......you need to try the XF86Setup again....I know you don't like trying this, but you need to do try it...it provides you a bit more flexibility than xf86config...

Aragorn