Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Problems (Newbie)

Re: Video Problems (Newbie)

It isn't supposed to be leaving console mode now that you deleted that file...that is what we wanted. Now your going to create a new one by running the xf86config file. But just use defaults...don't use the card specific ones....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

waltnjulie

Same results. It's almost a relief--I can cope with text a lot better than shimmery, useless video displays. :P

OK!

Here is what I have....

XFree86 ver 3.3.6 was the first version to support the MediaGX. Which I am assuming is what you have. Problem is, is that with this version, the most you can run at is 16bpp at 1024x768, and that sounds like it takes A LOT of tweaking. So here is my recommendation.

delete the new XF86Config file it created how I showed you before and run xf86config again

now, choose your card from the database and then at the end it should ask you for resolutions you want....manually edit them to delete all but the 16bpp resolutions, and make sure that you have 640x480 800x600 and 1024x768 as your options. Then do a startx

this HOPEFULLY should get you into it then do the

ctrl + alt + +
    or
    ctrl + alt + -

to see if that betters your resolution....

if this doesn't work....come back and I got a last resort option for ya! :-/

Aragorn

If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

waltnjulie

Same results: All the modes get deleted then Config error...531 and "mode name expected"

I'm not giving up yet!

Julie

waltnjulie

The monitor only supports 1024x768, and so far as I know, the mediagx only supports 16bpp. So 1024x768 at 16bpp would be as much as I could hope for, anyway. (I was getting that in Win95 on this machine, but it was so slow I usually ran it at 800x600.)

I would be content if I could get 800x600 at 16bpp. Or anything else, for that matter. 640x480? :

Ok, well at this point the only thing I can suggest is to download the latest version with the newer drives for mediaGX...it is at

http://www.xfree86.org

download 4.1.0

see if that fixes it...
    Good determination, I like your attitude! ;D

Aragorn

waltnjulie

If you think it'll help. I found this quote on the XFree86 page:

3.3.6:
    Support (accelerated) for the Cyrix MediaGX is provided by the XF86_SVGA server with the cyrix driver.

4.1.0:
    The 3.3.6 driver has been ported to 4.1.0, including acceleration, but feedback is needed.

Summary:
    Cyrix MediaGX users are encouraged to test its support in 4.1.0.

This sounds as though I can't expect 4.1 to perform any better than 3.3.6.

Question: like I said, I don't have the mediagx online yet. Can I download files with WinMe and carry them across, or should I try to get it online now?

Julie

jman_77

First, try XFree4.x if you can. It works fairly well for me
    Second, yes, you should be able to mount your windows partiton from linux, so you can download things in windows and copy them over in linux. Getting linux to dialup is a whole other can of worms.

Sorry...I don't know why I directed you to the kernel site...that was stupid, not paying attention again!

Yeah...it is the same drivers for MediaGX, but the xserver has updated graphic library files...which could sort out the problem. I have a feeling this will get you set....sorry for the confusion there. I should have explained that it was the same drivers...but different libraries!

Aragorn

waltnjulie

Thanks for the explanation. What I meant was: I have two machines here. The one I'm trying to install Debian on used to run Win95, but I don't have a Windows partition on that computer at all any more. So I can't get that computer online unless I can get Linux to dial-up. I'm using my other (new) computer, running WinMe to communicate. What I'm wondering is, if I download the files onto this computer, would Windows do anything to them that might make it harder for me to copy them across. I have Zip drives on both computers, although I don't think I have the driver for that set up in Linux yet. I do have a CD-RW on this computer, though, so I should be able to copy the file to a CD-R and read it from Linux, though, right? (Told you I was new at this!)

Julie