Thread: Modem Blaster DE5625

Modem Blaster DE5625

I have a Modem Blaster DE5625 External modem. I have it connected to my 9pin Serial port. Linux(Mandrake 8.0) recognizes that I have a modem there, but it won't initialize it for the life of me. I have tried it on every com port setting imaginable but just will not recognize it. Have done setserial and everything...hope you guys have an idea...

BTW, Yes I am still on dial up, but hopefully not for long!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Psycho

Re: Modem Blaster DE5625

Have you tried minicom?

I was just cruising through the man page and it looks as if it might be of some use in troubleshooting it.

Luck...

--glenn

Man, I have tried minicom, wvdial, and pppd. I just can not get that SOB to working! I actually think that the modem has gone bad, although Creative Labs say that it is a perfectly fine modem, but they "will not" provide support for Linux! Communists I say, Communists!!!

Aragorn

Have you tried minicom?

I was just cruising through the man page and it looks as if it might be of some use in troubleshooting it.

Luck...

--glenn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

WireChief

Have you tried searching through this site for help?
    http://808hi.com/56k/linux.htm I went there but needed more information on your modem.

WireChief

Another possible source..http://www.linmodems.org/

Thanks WireChief....I guess I forgot to update everybody on the fact that I got it to working. What was wrong with it though was a case of pure stupidity on my part. hmm....I hate to even tell...but ok, here goes. I had the wrong power supply for it. I have about a million power supplies and like 10 devices that use them....So it is kinda luck of the draw which one goes to which. I am lucky I didn't fry the bastard. Anyways....now that I feel like a dumba$$....

Aragorn

WireChief

Ha, funny thing is I did basically the same thing with my 3com datafax 33.6k modem, I hadn't used it for months and when I decided to try it I discovered I was using a 12vdc power supply and when I looked up the technical information at the 3com site found it was suppose to use a 20 volt AC power pack, I even thought the computer store I bought it from decieved and was pissed at them for weeks until I found the supply one day while looking for something else.

Well it isn't as bad as writing the company tons of emails about how piss poor pathetic their support was, and that a 4 month old modem shouldn't be not working. I wrote them quite a few nasty emails. I think I will leave it with being their mistake, they don't need to know.

Aragorn

Well, I don't know how many of you actually use modems, we are supposed to be a majority, but it sure doesn't seem that way. But I connect fine with the modem and for the first minute or two it is sweet as anything, but then my modem stalls for about 20 seconds at a time, eventually leading to a disconnect...any ideas??

Aragorn

JimH

Hi,

Did you try different phone cord? ISP have more then one number? Maybe try another number. Might try different modem initializattion string. Look in your modem manual see if it lists one to use.

Jim H