Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Syncing Handspring Visor to KPilot

Thread: Syncing Handspring Visor to KPilot

x0xCRIZx0x

Syncing Handspring Visor to KPilot

I'm attempting to sync a Handspring Visor with the JPilot program. I have the program running ok, but when I try to sync, it tells me that it can't open the Pilot port because it does not exist. Well, I checked and sure enough it doesn't. Does anyone know how to create the port (or an alternative port I can use)? Oh, the sync pad is connected by USB. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks.

x0xCRIZx0x

Got JPilot to work at first..but then

Sorry to bump this up, but I'm a bit lost. I'll detail more what I did (I did this from reading some docs online):

-After installing the rpms for jpilot, i then created a link from /dev/pilot to dev/usb/ttyUSB1 since I use a USB mouse for the first port.
    -I then changed the permission for this port: chmod 666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB1

So I fire up Jpilot, and press the Hotsync button in my visor, then the sync button in Jpilot and voila, success. Or so i thought. The next day I try to do the same thing and receive this error:

pi_bind Invalid argument
    Check your serial ports and settings
    If you use a USB pilort press the Hotsync
    button before and repush the button Sync
    exiting status -10

Did I miss a step anywhere? I tried pressing the Hotsync button first then the sync button in jpilot, and vice versa, with the same error. Any help would be great. Thanks.

btw, I'm using Mandrake 8.0 and KDE 2.1 currently. Would love to upgrade to KDE 2.2, but waiting for Mandrake 8.1 to come out of beta to upgrade everything. ;D

Re: Syncing Handspring Visor to KPilot

I know nothing about this, so this is a shot in the dark. But between your Linking of /dev/pilot and ttyUSB1 and the next day, did you reboot or machine?

I have had an issue in Mandrake of links dying on me and having to unlink them and then relink them....the only fix I have found for this thus far is to edit your boot script to include this unlinking and relinking for each reboot....bit of a pain in the arse..

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

x0xCRIZx0x

I did it! (kinda..)

Hi All,

Ok, I figured out how to sync with the JPilot program, as well as get it to sync with Avantgo service. For all those curious:

1. Make sure that all packages involved in running jpilot (this include jpilot, jpilot-synmal, jpilot-Mail, syncmal, and mal packages) are installed and updated to the latest versions. Aragorn, I believe you were right about the links being broken, so I also updated my symlinks package just in case.

2. After installing the rpms for jpilot, i then created (as root) a symbolic link from /dev/pilot to dev/usb/ttyUSB1 since I use a USB mouse for the first port: ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

3. Change the permission for this port: chmod 666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 so it will be accessible by all users.

4. There are times when jpilot would not sync unless you ran this command as root: /sbin/modprobe visor
    I believe (maybe) that this locates the module visor. In any case, I edited my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, adding the command in the end. This made it run at every boot.

Everything sync'ed fine, including all my to do lists and expenses. The only plugin that did not work was the syncMAL. Syncing to my Avantgo service required doing it in prompt: $malsync
    This is done after you press the hot-sync button on the hub.

Hope this helps someone out there ;D . If anyone has suggestions (especially how to get the sycmal plugin to work), feel free to reply. Thanks

-Criz

Re: Syncing Handspring Visor to KPilot

Kewl, glad you got it working, I thought it might be the link, but it was obviously a bit more than that....good job!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.