Thread: 3Com Cable Modem VSP

Hybrid View

bobif

3Com Cable Modem VSP

Does anyone know how to make the 3Com Cable Modem VSP (one-way) ISA card work with Mandrake Linux 8.0..... >

I would hate to have to go ack to windows..... :'(

Re: 3Com Cable Modem VSP

Well I don't believe your going to be happy with 3com or your internet service provider, I would be very upset with both. First of all 3com is not and will not support Linux drivers for your cable modem or any of the ones that they already didn't have a linux driver for. This is because they have discontinued all support for their cable modem line as of August 10th, 2001.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/d.../cableeol.html

Which means if something happens to your modem or whatever they won't help. Which also means your ISP SHOULD NOT be using this modem. What I recommend you doing is calling your isp and saying you want an external modem that supports Linux. That you know they are distributing an unsupported modem to their users. If they don't, I would demand a refund and wait for DSL. This is just what I would do though. What would piss me off the most is that from what I could find, people have been asking for these drivers since middle of '99! Your ISP REALLY shouldn't distribute an unsupported and discontinued modem.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

bobif

I bought a used 3com cable modem just to get me by until my cable provider can get my area on 2-way. I have a brand new 2-way modem waiting for them to convert.

Sounds like I am on windows then til my cable provider switches my area.....Goodbye Linux

You can do like me Bob and just use Linux for everything that you don't need the internet for. Unfortunately since almost everything I do on my computer is for this site I am almost always on the Internet...so...augh....don't give up on Linux, just dual boot awhile....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

bobif

I will only be gone for a year. They expect to hae 2-way next year sometime. I could put the 3com card in my wifes windwos PC. SHe doens't use it much and put on internet connection sharing and then I would stay in Linux......

JimH

I will only be gone for a year. They expect to hae 2-way next year sometime. I could put the 3com card in my wifes windwos PC. SHe doens't use it much and put on internet connection sharing and then I would stay in Linux......
    Hey, now thats an idea. ;D

Aragron, you haven't been able to find linux drivers for your windows modem? Did you try http://www.linmodems.org. There are a few drivers out there now. Of course the best way is to buy a hardware modem. I just don't like software modems.

Jim H

No, my windermodem ;D is an HCF modem which is not supported at all. My external hardware modem is messed up, so I have to buy a new one. Maybe after that I can goto a full blown linux system!

Aragorn