Thread: modem woes

Hybrid View

modem woes

i have an internal (or is that infernal) modem which is supposed to have linux support. Windoze finds it on com 5 , which mandrake 7.2 doesn't recognise
    So far the conclusion i have come to is i need to load the modem before i load the usb support , the biggest problem (besides being a newbie) is i don't know how
    any suggestions?

Re: modem woes

Well I got a few suggestions...

1. (Looks like you did already) Goto and verify that your modem will work under
    Linux and download any drivers if needed.
    2. When you get to your bash prompt type setserial -a /dev/ttyS*
    (replace star with a number, 0 is com1, 1 is com2, etc...)
    When you see a port with 16550UART in the little descriptions you get, there is your com port
    3. you then set up wvdial to access that com port through /etc/wvdial.conf

After you get the setserial thing going, come back here and let me know what happened.....we might try something else if that doesn't work.

If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Another suggestion anytime you have a hardware problem post specific details on your hardware, i.e. manufacturer, model. Make sure too include any error messages you are getting.

Jim H

just to follow up , i installed mandrake 8.0 , which allowed me to have ttyS4, however i then got 'modem is busy' then i went to the modem site (again) , but this time they had a new set of instructions which actually worked , so i'm posting this via my new linux box

Congrats! Glad it worked for ya! Don't you love being windows free when your on the net? I do! hehe

If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.